No time for PreReqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATMountain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What suggestions do you guys have for improving the sciences from a 9 to the 10-11 level, apart from taking the pre-reqs?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

What suggestions do you guys have for improving the sciences from a 9 to the 10-11 level, apart from taking the pre-reqs?

Thanks in advance.

A few months ago, you posted a similar thread. I tried to give you advice on how to succeed without the pre-reqs and which pre-reqs aren't absolutely necessary. In response, you were quite rude.

I'm guessing things didn't go as well as you thought prep-wise so I'll post a link to that thread. Go and read my last post there and it should give you a good start. There's not really any shortcuts here.. you have to learn the content one way or another. Some topics are easier and less exhaustive than others so they are more easily learned on your own (and if you post which topics those are, people can suggest resources). Especially for a score in the double digits which requires you have a fairly adequate grasp of all the topics of a section. After that, it's test-taking skills and making as many strengths as possible so you'll get lucky on test day. It's impossible to help you if you don't tell us which pre-reqs you're missing and how the pre-reqs are structured at your school.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=14262694

Last edited:
A few months ago, you posted a similar thread. I tried to give you advice on how to succeed without the pre-reqs and which pre-reqs aren't absolutely necessary. In response, you were quite rude.

I'm guessing things didn't go as well as you thought prep-wise so I'll post a link to that thread. Go and read my last post there and it should give you a good start. There's not really any shortcuts here.. you have to learn the content one way or another. Some topics are easier and less exhaustive than others so they are more easily learned on your own (and if you post which topics those are, people can suggest resources). Especially for a score in the double digits which requires you have a fairly adequate grasp of all the topics of a section. After that, it's test-taking skills and making as many strengths as possible so you'll get lucky on test day. It's impossible to help you if you don't tell us which pre-reqs you're missing and how the pre-reqs are structured at your school.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=14262694

I remember that thread. I asked if people had done well without prereqs. You replied with it being possible, but then you went off on a tangent about the importance of prereqs. This was my reply:

MCATMOUNTAIN:
Thanks for the reply. Although you may have a valid point, the topic of the thread was not to discuss whether it's wise to have the prereqs, but to see if anyone's done well without the prereqs. Not to be rude here, just don't want the thread sidetracked as this is a loaded topic.

Sounds rude as hell.

And for the record, I scored 9/11/9. My goal was 9/11/10 and I likely would have gotten it if I hadn't changed 4 answers in BS after initially having the correct reasoning.

I remember that thread. I asked if people had done well without prereqs. You replied with it being possible, but then you went off on a tangent about the importance of prereqs. This was my reply:

MCATMOUNTAIN:
Thanks for the reply. Although you may have a valid point, the topic of the thread was not to discuss whether it's wise to have the prereqs, but to see if anyone's done well without the prereqs. Not to be rude here, just don't want the thread sidetracked as this is a loaded topic.

Sounds rude as hell.

And for the record, I scored 9/11/9. My goal was 9/11/10 and I likely would have gotten it if I hadn't changed 4 answers in BS after initially having the correct reasoning.

Nah, I was more referring to your subsequent posts like:

MCATMOUNTAIN:
I pity you.

Anyways, I didn't say you didn't do well and never said you couldn't do well without the pre-reqs.. I said you didn't do as well as thought/wanted... as it sounds like you are planning to retake. I also didn't go off about the importance of pre-reqs, I actually went off about which pre-reqs weren't absolutely required or not... and.. which pre-reqs you can succeed without.

So for the third time, I'll repeat my advice. Go through the AAMC topic list and see what topics you didn't learn in class. Post them here. People can help you find the best resource to learn that content. There are no shortcuts to a 10.

If you post which classes you don't have time to take AND how your school breaks down the pre-reqs, people can help you. Otherwise, you're going to keep posting vague requests for help where no-one can really give the advice that you need. This is like going to a doctor and telling them you don't feel well. You gotta be more descriptive than that.

There are 8 pre-reqs.. which ones haven't you taken?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah, I was more referring to your subsequent posts like:

MCATMOUNTAIN:
I pity you.

Anyways, I didn't say you didn't do well and never said you couldn't do well without the pre-reqs.. I said you didn't do as well as thought/wanted... so it sounds like you are planning to retake. I also didn't go off about the importance of pre-reqs, I actually went off about which pre-reqs weren't absolutely required or not... and.. which pre-reqs you can succeed without.

So for the third time, I'll repeat my advice. Go through the AAMC topic list and see what topics you didn't learn in class. Post them here. People can help you find the best resource to learn that content. There's no shortcuts to a 10.

If you post which classes you don't have time to take AND how your school breaks down the pre-reqs, people can help you. Otherwise, you're going to keep posting vague requests for help where no-one can really give the advice that you need.

There's 8 pre-reqs.. which ones haven't you taken?

Strange that someone would go from very polite to blatantly rude. Almost like there would be a reason to. Strange concept. Couldn't possibly be that the other party thickheadedly kept moving forward with their argument rather than simply acknowledging the request. I don't have time to keep going back to the thread, so I'll agree that you agree to leave it at that.

Take care buddy.

Strange that someone would go from very polite to blatantly rude. Almost like there would be a reason to. Strange concept. Couldn't possibly be that the other party thickheadedly kept moving forward with their argument rather than simply acknowledging the request. I don't have time to keep going back to the thread, so I'll agree that you agree to leave it at that.

Take care buddy.

Absolutely amazing that twice now, I have tried to help you and twice now, you spit in the face of advice like this.(Not to mention that I love how you denied being rude two posts ago and now call your actions "blatantly rude"). Maybe you should continue reading my posts and you'd see where I tried to directly engage you in discussion that will help you get the advice you need, of course to no avail.

Good luck with the MCAT. Maybe you'll learn soon how to react when someone goes out of their way to help you out.

Hey everyone, I am not sure this is the right place, but I did not want to start a new thread:
Here is my question:
Is it OK to study for my MCAT (ex: when I am taking gen chem next semester, also study for my gen chem on the MCAT).
I DO plan on reviewing it again. I am pressed for time, and I was just curious as to if anyone else has done this before.

Hey everyone, I am not sure this is the right place, but I did not want to start a new thread:
Here is my question:
Is it OK to study for my MCAT (ex: when I am taking gen chem next semester, also study for my gen chem on the MCAT).
I DO plan on reviewing it again. I am pressed for time, and I was just curious as to if anyone else has done this before.

I'd only suggest doing something like this (or skipping) Orgo II and Physics II as they are structured at MOST schools.

Not sure how its possible you could be taking gen chem the same semester as taking the MCAT.. that would mean you're not taking Orgo at all?

I will be doing something along these lines:
Spring 2014- gen chem I (already taken, have to repeat b/c I transferred schools*), physics I and the second half of general bio (again, b/c I transferred*) - study for the gen chem and physics portion ( I am a biology major so I will hold off on that for a while longer)

Summer 2014- Physics II, gen chem II, molecular biology

Fall 2014 - Organic I, genetics - will be studying for organic I, as well as organic II.
I am doing that, as well as really hitting organic II HARD over Christmas break (I have been told to avoid the new MCAT at all cost- haha) My projected MCAT date is January 10th, 2015.

Basically, I am studying for the MCAT (and reinforcing concepts) as I go along with the course, that way, in September/October of 2014, I can start heavy studying. Does this sound absolutely crazy? It is the only way I can think of to make it work, I have to pay for school myself, so not working is not a viable option. Opinions anyone?

* Originally got a B+ in each of those classes but they still would not take the credits :(

Last edited:
Didn't read that large wall of text but it's stupid to take the MCAT without taking the prereqs.

I will be doing something along these lines:
Spring 2014- gen chem I (already taken, have to repeat b/c I transferred schools*), physics I and the second half of general bio (again, b/c I transferred*) - study for the gen chem and physics portion ( I am a biology major so I will hold off on that for a while longer)

Summer 2014- Physics II, gen chem II, molecular biology

Fall 2014 - Organic I, genetics - will be studying for organic I, as well as organic II.
I am doing that, as well as really hitting organic II HARD over Christmas break (I have been told to avoid the new MCAT at all cost- haha) My projected MCAT date is January 10th, 2015.

Basically, I am studying for the MCAT (and reinforcing concepts) as I go along with the course, that way, in September/October of 2014, I can start heavy studying. Does this sound absolutely crazy? It is the only way I can think of to make it work, I have to pay for school myself, so not working is not a viable option. Opinions anyone?

* Originally got a B+ in each of those classes but they still would not take the credits :(

There's little point or need to study for the MCAT a year in advance. Not only will you just be burning up valuable resources but there's little tangible gain possible a year out.

Just take the classes again and focus on understanding all the material. There's not much of a difference between studying for your class and studying for the MCAT aside from the depth of mastery needed (your class likely requires more) and resources you'll use. Start studying in September/October and because you'll be taking Orgo at the same time, you can focus a little bit less on Orgo and more on the other subjects. Having to retake them puts you in a pretty good position for the MCAT because you can really concentrate on mastering the material rather than trying to grasp it for the first time.

Don't ignore Orgo because again, there are some differences between Orgo I and MCAT Orgo.. but since Orgo I would be more thorough, you can get away with focusing a bit less.

As far as missing Orgo II, it really depends on how the Orgo sequence at your school is structured. Find a syllabus and figure out where each of the subjects from the official AAMC topic list (linked below) falls. Specifically, SOME of most high-yield material is:
1) Stuff under "Covalent Bond" (surely in Orgo I as its fundamentals)
2) Molecular Structure and Spectra (especially NMR)
3) Substitution reactions (sn1 and sn2)
4) Nucleophilic addition/substitution (carbonyls)

You can definitely teach some of that to yourself but the difficulty would vary based on what you cover in Orgo I.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85566/data/bstopics.pdf

Didn't read that large wall of text but it's stupid to take the MCAT without taking the prereqs.

Assuming that the prereqs in question would have been the first exposure the examinee has to the subject, then yes.

i.e., it's completely fine to not take, say, gen chem, if one has extensive background in it from high school through courses and academic competitions (i.e., me – placed right outta dat)

Obviously not the rule but the exception, but I've always thought it was a point often glossed over by generalizations.

Hey jebstein30,
This what I have:
1-anatomy/physiology 1&2, Phy 1&2, general chem 1&2, calculus 1 + Master in economics

This is my plan for SP 2014:
Take: Orgo1, introd bio 1, micro, statistics

SUMMER 2014:
Take intro bio 2, self study Orgo 2, and take the MCAT June 23.

That means I have roughly 6 weeks to prepare for the MCAT. What do you think about this?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey jebstein30,
This what I have:
1-anatomy/physiology 1&2, Phy 1&2, general chem 1&2, calculus 1 + Master in economics

This is my plan for SP 2014:
Take: Orgo1, introd bio 1, micro, statistics

SUMMER 2014:
Take intro bio 2, self study Orgo 2, and take the MCAT June 23.

That means I have roughly 6 weeks to prepare for the MCAT. What do you think about this?
Thanks

So you won't have Intro Bio 2 or Orgo 2 done by the time you take your MCAT?

Really depends on what is in your Orgo 2 course, see my earlier post in this thread for what I mean exactly.

As far as Bio, you should be okay there as intro level bio is basic stuff that I'm sure you've seen before and can pick up quickly. Having A&P will also help you with that section.

6 weeks is very little to prepare for the MCAT unless you're coming from a very high level of background information.. not enough time to identify weaknesses and work on them.. and barely enough time to get comfortable with the test day experience via practice tests. Most people take at least 2 months, usually 3.

I just had a talk with a friend/study partner.
We decided to allow 4hr every week for MCAT prep starting in January. What do you think about?

We decided to allow 4hr every week for MCAT prep starting in January. What do you think about?

January to June?

Try to do as much as you can during the semester and then kick it into overdrive during breaks.. 4 hours a week won't be enough on its own.

Yes January-June.
We will start with 4hr and monitor the progression. We will try to have consistent schedule for first 4 weeks and then increase to probably 8hrs/weeks.
Any idea or feedback is appreciated.
Thanks a lot for your time.

It's not about the time, but how you use the time.

I studied maybe around 20-25 hours over 7 days during my 6-week block for my MCAT, whereas people claim to have done 30-40 hours a week for 8-week blocks. I could do most gen chem problems with my eyes closed while others breeze through VR passages in 2 minutes. I could score better, they could score better. I know people who studied for 3 weeks, scored a 36, wasn't happy with it, then legit studied more for around a month and scored 42. YMMV

It's the efficiency and effectiveness that counts. Number of hours doesn't really mean anything when comparing studying techniques among different people from different backgrounds.

it's not about the time, but how you use the time.

It's the efficiency and effectiveness that counts. Number of hours doesn't really mean anything when comparing studying techniques among different people from different backgrounds.

+1

It's not about the time, but how you use the time.

I studied maybe around 20-25 hours over 7 days during my 6-week block for my MCAT, whereas people claim to have done 30-40 hours a week for 8-week blocks. I could do most gen chem problems with my eyes closed while others breeze through VR passages in 2 minutes. I could score better, they could score better. I know people who studied for 3 weeks, scored a 36, wasn't happy with it, then legit studied more for around a month and scored 42. YMMV

How can I study efficiently??
Any advice is very appreciated!!!!

How can I study efficiently??
Any advice is very appreciated!!!!

That is a very good question. If I knew, I'd be in line for Phi Beta Kappa. (Spoiler: I'm nowhere near top 10% of my class, so........)

:hungover:

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.

I am by no means an expert on the MCAT but I did find myself in a similar situation to you in that I'm in a program with little elective space and class hours that essentially mean missing out on lectures and lab times if you did decide to take the prereqs. My original intention was to complete the prereqs necessary for the MCAT during the summers while doing research full time but MCAT 2015 kind of left that out as a viable option. Long story short, I decided to write the MCAT this past summer, after my second year with really only Bio 1 under my belt. I did well all things considered: PS 10/ VR 10/ BS 11.

With the target score you listed it seems you're targeting Schulich's cutoffs. I think you're in a really good place right now because with a 9/11/9, verbal evidently isn't a problem for you and the sciences are by far easier to improve on than verbal. Take me for example: I had a baseline VR of 9; after starting to implement my prep course's strategy I dropped to consistent 5-6s. It took me all summer to get from there to the point where I could consistently get a 10 in VR. By contrast, near the end of my preparation, I realized that it was my PS score that would keep me out of medicine. With a little over a month to go before my test, I was scoring 7s at best. With one month of dedicated review and practice I brought it up to the point where I was scoring 10s consistently in PS with the occasional 11. It took 4 months for me to see a 5 point increase in verbal and 1 month to see a 3 point increase in PS.

The truth is everyone on here is right: it is not advisable to do the MCAT missing prereqs. This is a test where you are compared to your peers - people who do have the necessary prereqs under their belt and for some even advanced coursework extending at graduate levels of education. Does this preclude you from doing well? No. But thinking rationally about it, it's like showing up to the 10,000m race at the Olympics after running for 15 minutes everyday for the past week knowing full well that all the Kenyans and Scandinavians have been training for the past 4 years.

There are NO shortcuts. There are NO magic tricks. Only perseverance and working so hard you feel like going into underwater basketweaving. Extracurricular stuff had prevented me from devoting my time fully to studying during the summer. So, in the 1 month I spent trying to improve PS, I read my physics textbook cover to cover, I did nearly every question in EK1001 physics and redid the ones I got wrong sometimes three times over. I did FSQs from my TPR SWB and I did some passages as well. I was hella short on time and really deficient in content knowledge.

No, you don't need prereqs to get a 30+ score on the MCAT. But I certainly wished I had them every step of the way. I wouldn't have questioned my intelligence or suitability for medicine all throughout this summer. I also wouldn't have had to spend so much time focusing on getting the sciences to a decent level and could have spent even more time improving that verbal score. I know deep down I'm capable of more than the 79th-83rd percentile. But I think at the end of the day, my knowledge of simple harmonic motion has very little bearing on the kind of person I am, how astute a clinician I can be and how compassionate a presence I will be for my patients. What has had an impact on me is the humility that came with the self-doubt. Feeling, for once, like the dumbest kid in the room and recognizing that I didn't know and that I was uncertain changed me because I needed to learn how to turn the negative feelings I typically associated with these situations into things that drove my productivity. Had I not done so, I think I would have continued to be arrogant, I would not have been able to see the errors that I was making and I would have surely failed in my endeavour.

My advice to you personally would be to take a break from thinking about the MCAT for a while and think about the kind of healthcare professional you'd like to become. If after some reflection you decide this is still for you, then come back ready to take the MCAT with your game face on. Take a look at what worked and what didn't work for the sciences last time. Create a plan based on what worked. Make sure you actually understand what you're reading (what's happening and why) when you're going through this stuff. Do a ****load of FSQs to solidify your content knowledge. Then do a fuqton of practice passages to practice employing your learning in novel situations. Review your mistakes carefully and repeat incorrect questions until you can solve them easily. Do practice tests. A lot of them. And, ABOVE ALL ELSE, do not neglect the verbal reasoning section.

Good luck!