No time to go to DMV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering if anybody else has been in the same situation.

My license plates have been expired for >1 month now but I don't have time to go to the DMV office. They are only open M-F from 8am-5pm...and unfortunately, I've been working M-F from 6am-6pm and will be for the next three months. I don't have any post-call days until October.

Luckily, I haven't gotten pulled over yet but if/when I do, can I argue that I just don't have time to go? I can't escape during lunch (not when I have 15 minutes, at best) and definitely can't ask for time off to do this.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the state but is it possible to do it online? Perhaps you could drive to a different city on a Saturday.

Of course it's not a valid reason ;-) From my experience so long as you only drive during the normal rush hour times you are unlikely to get noticed by a cop.

Tell your senior resident or attending that your plates are expired and you need an hour or two to go to the DMV (unless you can do this online - a more and more popular option in many states). They should not have an issue with it if you are a hardworking resident.

Now if you are a slacker resident, expect some pushback.

Assuming that you've already checked that there aren't any other DMV offices with earlier/later hours, can't renew online, and are sure that your state doesn't allow other parties to bring the registration docs (I guess this is an option in a few places):
I'd either ask about the senior about switching one of your weekday shifts with someone working weekends or evenings (if interns do cover any of those). That's what I had to do when I was on wards but needed to go out of state on a weekday to sign business documents.
OR see if they would be willing to let you sneak out for a little while during lunch time and get it done then (perhaps if they go through all your patients during rounds first and you keep your pager on while you're gone if some urgent question arises, this might be feasible?).

Most of the people I've worked with on wards were reasonable people who would be willing to cut some slack for an issue like this as long as you're not being lazy. I would not expect the cops to give you a break on the ticket just because you say you're too busy to go (even though we know how hard it is to get away from wards they probably won't understand)

All the above advice is excellent. Also, expired registration is usually a secondary offense, meaning you can only be ticketed if you're pulled over for some other reason (e.g. speeding, running a light, burned out headlight/taillight etc).

So drive safely and keep your car in good working order, and you can get to the DMV when you have time.

I did hear once about a colleague who got a ticket from the VA for parking there with expired tags. But frankly it's more likely that someone reported her out of spite than that the security is that tight. Nonetheless, it was a federal offense.

See, I don't have to worry about this, because I have overnight call almost every month :p

Agree with the people above: just talk to your senior and pick a day when things should be quiet. Bring your pager, go when things aren't busy, and move fast.

Better yet, take a day of vacation or make it a day of "sick leave" for you to get your annual PE done and while you're at it, consider it a day of mental health and going to the DMV. Go have lunch out somewhere nice and treat yourself.

Take care of yourself is the bottom line.

Also, expired registration is usually a secondary offense, meaning you can only be ticketed if you're pulled over for some other reason (e.g. speeding, running a light, burned out headlight/taillight etc).

I can tell you from personal experience that is not the case in every state. I was able to take care of the ticket via the mail, at least, once I obtained renewal. No court date and the ticket went away.

You dont have to it yourself, hopefully you know someone with a schedule that would allow them to take care of it for you.

I can tell you from personal experience that is not the case in every state. I was able to take care of the ticket via the mail, at least, once I obtained renewal. No court date and the ticket went away.
This. The ticket isn't a big deal and once you get current will be dropped. Obviously not the best option but if you truly can't make it for awhile the outcome isn't bad.

All the above advice is excellent. Also, expired registration is usually a secondary offense, meaning you can only be ticketed if you're pulled over for some other reason (e.g. speeding, running a light, burned out headlight/taillight etc).

So drive safely and keep your car in good working order, and you can get to the DMV when you have time.

I did hear once about a colleague who got a ticket from the VA for parking there with expired tags. But frankly it's more likely that someone reported her out of spite than that the security is that tight. Nonetheless, it was a federal offense.

Oh no it's not. It is a revenue stream for many states. I know, I was stopped once in PA for expired tags and given a $50 ticket, then came the $125 court costs and a report to my home state. The car I was driving was a rental car, with a valid rental agreement. This happened on my way out of the airport at PIT. I don't rent from that company anymore, and ultimately they paid the ticket. I also avoid PA.

My present state had the same issue, I needed a DL, my clinic cannot treat patients without my physical presence in the clinic, and as the solo practitioner within 150 miles, there is little coverage. DL bureaucrats are only available M-F 8:30 - 11:30 and 1:15 - 3:15. I had to suspend treatment for an afternoon shift patient and staff schedules to accommodate the state, pay overtime and inconvenience nearly everyone.

Tags are easy, get someone else to do it (hire someone if necessary). A DL which requires your physical presence not so much.

I concur with the people above. Check out every possible option of going in during late or saturday openings, doing it online or over the phone/mail, or sending someone else.

If it really turns out there is nothing else for it than going yourself during office hours (rather unlikely, but possible), talk to your direct supervisor. State the facts, point out that you're driving around illegally through no fault/negligence of your own and that you need a couple of hours to go fix the situation. Go when it's quiet and take only the time you really need.

I think this is a reasonable request. On the other hand, they'll be rather unimpressed if you don't show up for work one day because you were pulled over and had the car impounded.
Being let off the hook by the police "because you are too busy to go" is extremely unlikely.