no tv?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunset823

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
out of curiosity, does anyone not have a TV in their apartment? I had a (small, old) tv in grad school but barely ever turned it on, except for my alma mater's football games, and with the season we had last year, I wouldn't mind missing them unless we REALLY turn around.

has anyone not had any tv without going insane? I'm debating whether to buy one after I move.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like you'd be able to handle living without a tv. Personally, I think a TV is worth it, especially if you have friends over and want to watch something.

we have TVs in my new apartment, but we dont have cable service.
It is kinda crummy at times, but we do have a fair selection of movies to put on if need be.
I am only wishing we had cable right now because there is nothing going on and I am finding myself fairly bored sitting around indoors when its raining outside.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I have several TVs in my house, but my wife and kids are not medical students.

Nope, but then I don't watch TV.

I dont start until this fall, but I dont think I could do without a TV. I fall asleep to mine every night. Not quite sure if I could fall asleep without it. It helps me unwind at night anyways.

You have a computer, why not just a buy a tv tuner for it?

I have a 46'' flatscreen that I mostly use for watching movies with friends. Im thinking of getting rid of it though. Its just too much trouble trying to avoid paying tv license for the state channels with ther commie propaganda. :(

Brought my moderately nice flatscreen to school but ditched the cable. It's nice to have around to watch movies and play the occasional video game for the 3hrs/month or so that I feel inclined to do so but would I buy a new TV for school? Probably not I watch a few shows on my CPU with no problem and even with netflix streaming through the XBox and a prodigious DVD collection I only watch about 2hrs of TV every couple of days.

That being said if I had cable I'm sure it would be a different story and it would be on all the time even if only as background noise while I was doing other stuff

I have a 24" monitor and a tv tuner. It's pretty nice. Sometimes when I'm idly doing work or chatting with friends, I'll just set it take up ~20% of my screen and be on top. With a big screen, it's not really ever a hindrance and it's pretty nice for multitasking. I got it for about $70 at a best buy sale 2 years ago. One side plugs into an axial cable and the other end has usb connectivity for your computer. Mine is a little bit bigger than those 25 cent packs of gum from the olden days but I'm sure they're smaller now.

Damn, I could never live without a TV. My gf and I have a 37" LCD in the living room and 42" LCD in the bedroom. I need my movie collection, netflix on xbox 360, and wii to keep me busy. Also hoop up the laptop sometimes to enjoy hulu/etc since can't afford to build a HTPC just yet. Also have dual 19" monitors for my desktop, oh I love technology.

TV for my 1985 Nintendo. Even have a CRT cause thats the only way the gun controller will work.

Oh yeah, I guess I have cable too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why have a TV when you can use your PC? Just get a tuner card with antenna to watch your favorite shows (or go to the television website). I actually watch shows (like scrubs) on my iPod touch while I'm at the gym. No TV at home.

I never had a TV all through college and have no plans of getting one any time soon. My boyfriend and I watch all our favorite shows online at TV network websites and Hulu.com with his 24" monitor.

Also have dual 19" monitors for my desktop, oh I love technology.

I've been thinking about getting dual 24"s for the longest time...do you ever feel like you have too much computing space?

I'm all about the TV too, but I think it will be completely useless to pay for cable if I did not have DVR or Tivo b/c it's hard to be on any show's schedule. I look forward to watching my recorded shows before going to bed with a good midnight snack - high point of many of my days

I've been thinking about getting dual 24"s for the longest time...do you ever feel like you have too much computing space?

No way, I would love dual 24" as well but can't afford it now. I greatly prefer it to a single large monitor as i use UltraMon and split programs between the two. I can look up somthing online on the right and type excel info on left, etc. Also, with UWorld I can actually browse the internet, control pandora, type etc. on the right monitor while UW runs on the left which is nice since pandora blocks the alt-tab function on a single monitor. It's a lot more productive I feel. The only downside is if you play games sometimes you'll go off the side and the game will minimize itself.

TV is a waste of time. You can stream prettymuch any show. I have always found myself just mindlessly flipping channels with a TV.

haha wow, didn't know this would turn into a discussion of our tech-freakiness. I actually love technology as well, but only if it is useful to me, which TV is not. I decided I'll get a TV Tuner - I'll need to see how that works with the digital transition, but my laptop has a pretty big screen and I usually watch DVDs on it. Thanks.

No way, I would love dual 24" as well but can't afford it now. I greatly prefer it to a single large monitor as i use UltraMon and split programs between the two. I can look up somthing online on the right and type excel info on left, etc. Also, with UWorld I can actually browse the internet, control pandora, type etc. on the right monitor while UW runs on the left which is nice since pandora blocks the alt-tab function on a single monitor. It's a lot more productive I feel. The only downside is if you play games sometimes you'll go off the side and the game will minimize itself.

Well, you're a step above me. I've had one 17" LCD and one 17" CRT on my main machine for the past four years. I just couldn't find the extra money needed to get another. It is interesting moving things from one screen to another and comparing the massive difference in quality. It is nice being able to have typing word on one screen with your research up on the other. And by research of course I mean a movie or TV show.

I have an old TV, and I'll have stuff on mainly as background, but if I really want to watch something, I go with the computer as well.

Duals 24's was nice and definitely not too much if you like to keep multiple applications open and visible at once.

Once I added the third I started to think I might have gone a bit overboard. But the desk looked unbalanced without it. :) And really not to crazy expensive either. I picked up the last 2 monitors for something like $280 and $250 each off ebay. One was a dell refurb, the other was possibly new in box, I really couldn't tell.

Attachments

• desktop.JPG
    desktop.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 90
How does adding a 3rd work? Do you have SLI or something?I've always used a desktop+laptop combo:

Photo_012708_003.jpg

Last edited:
I rarely watch tv and don't own one, a waste of time for the most part. However, I will go to a sports bar when the mighty Oregon Duck football team is playing on television. I enjoy watching Oregon beat USC occasionally, although not as often as I would like.

Duals 24's was nice and definitely not too much if you like to keep multiple applications open and visible at once.

What the christ do you need dual 24s for though really? I have a single 23" which is big enough.

When I used to do a lot of computer simulations at work, I had a 19" and a 23", couldn't imagine having/needing more than that, especially if you're not a graphics designer/draftsman.

What the christ do you need dual 24s for though really? I have a single 23" which is big enough.

When I used to do a lot of computer simulations at work, I had a 19" and a 23", couldn't imagine having/needing more than that, especially if you're not a graphics designer/draftsman.

Because you can.

When I was writing my thesis I had my laptop and two 24 inch screens all hooked up. It was awesome. Journal articles and what not on one screen, my paper and stuff on the other and then my "fun" things like IM and itunes on the other.

out of curiosity, does anyone not have a TV in their apartment? I had a (small, old) tv in grad school but barely ever turned it on, except for my alma mater's football games, and with the season we had last year, I wouldn't mind missing them unless we REALLY turn around.

has anyone not had any tv without going insane? I'm debating whether to buy one after I move.

I havent had a TV in four years. Its pointless to have. For one, i dont watch much TV. But even if you do watch lots, you can find every episode online (legally). The house I am moving in to already has one, but i dont think there is cable and i dont plan on using it ever.

Be forewarned, when you get used to using two monitors you will never be able to go back. It's addicting and extremely efficient.

Damn, I could never live without a TV. My gf and I have a 37" LCD in the living room and 42" LCD in the bedroom. I need my movie collection, netflix on xbox 360, and wii to keep me busy. Also hoop up the laptop sometimes to enjoy hulu/etc since can't afford to build a HTPC just yet. Also have dual 19" monitors for my desktop, oh I love technology.

im glad im not alone.. my bf and i have 2 tv's in our studio apartment with cable and DVR - a nice big one for the living room area and a smaller, 26 inch one for the bedroom area..
oh and an xbox :)

i have quite a few shows that I watch all the time and it would suck not having a tv...:eek:

Who ever said anything about needing? I definitely don't need 2 large screens. But I also do rather enjoy having them. And for the record I have three 24" LCD's and its complete overkill.

Thats a total of 5760x1200 of desktop real estate to work with.