No URM preference in Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jinglemingle

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand Texas has no URM preference. Can someone confirm whether or this correct? My source is Mark J. Perry who is a full professor of economics at the Flint campus of The University of Michigan. http://www.aei-ideas.org/2013/04/me...-racial-preferences-for-blacks-and-hispanics/
If you are Hispanic, Texas has a lot of Latino friendly schools like, UT San Antonio, UTMB Galveston, UT Southwestern, UT Houston, and Texas A&M. My source is from hispanicbusiness.com

Last edited:
The fact that the entire demographics of Texas is changing, I highly doubt that there is no preference.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
But if it is illegal there is no way they can give URM preference. My OP is - can someone confirm that it is in fact illegal in Texas.

But if it is illegal there is no way they can give URM preference. My OP is - can someone confirm that it is in fact illegal in Texas.

something being illegal doesn't mean it doesn't happen... if they aren't going to use the information why do they ask your race/ethnicity?

For anyone who doesn't take the time to read the article, it addresses undergraduate admissions and is from a site with a political agenda.

"Here’s why the issue is important: In some states like California, Washington, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, New Hampshire, and Michigan, racial preferences in college admissions are currently prohibited by law (although the Texas and Michigan policies are currently being challenged). "

The web sites from the individual Med Schools all have diversity-recruiting messages and scholarship applications, implying that they do care about increasing diversity. Also, there's no "top 10% of TX high students" (or top 7%, or whatever it is these days) rule in medical school. Accepted TX applicants do tend to cluster in the top 50% numerically, but that's hardly a surprise.

Why not just call TMDSAS and flat-out ask them?

For LCME accrediation:

“IS-16. An institution that offers a medical education program must have policies and practices to achieve appropriate diversity among its students, faculty, staff, and other members of its academic community, and must engage in ongoing, systematic, and focused efforts to attract and retain students, faculty, staff, and others from demographically diverse backgrounds."

Reactions: 7 users
Why not just call TMDSAS and flat-out ask them?

I just don't like to bother medical school organizations. Besides the info can easily be found if someone understands legal rulings. Wish I did.

The ruling in Texas is for undergrad. It does not apply to medical schools. The only med school ruling I know of was California Board of Regents vs. Bakke in which the US Supreme Court allowed preferences but not a specific number of seats "set aside" for URM. That case was decided in June 1978.

Reactions: 9 users
The ruling in Texas is for undergrad. It does not apply to medical schools. The only med school ruling I know of was California Board of Regents vs. Bakke in which the US Supreme Court allowed preferences but not a specific number of seats "set aside" for URM. That case was decided in June 1978.

Thanks LizzyM!!

Which is just fantastic for white males like myself...

I am really sorry about that and apologize for all real or perceived injustices against whites and Asians or others. Discrimination or reverse discrimination in all forms is wrong but that is just my opinion which means nothing. There has always been this deep belief among traditional tribal elders as well as tribal economists that affirmative action, preferences, minority quotas and diversity initiatives end up VERY badly harming minorities overall and those are just divide-and-conquer mechanisms by the elites. Hopefully in the future we can look forward to a day when people will be judged by who they are and not how they look or where they come from. Mitakuye Oyasin (we're all related, we're all one).

Last edited:
I am really sorry about that and apologize for all real or perceived injustices against whites and Asians or others. Discrimination or reverse discrimination in all forms is wrong but that is just my opinion which means nothing. There has always been this deep belief among traditional tribal elders as well as tribal economists that affirmative action, preferences, minority quotas and diversity initiatives end up VERY badly harming minorities overall and those are just divide-and-conquer mechanisms by the elites. Hopefully in the future we can look forward to a day when people will be judged by who they are and not how they look or where they come from. Mitakuye Oyasin (we're all related, we're all one).

Well, if you feel that way, just apply as "prefer not to respond" or whatever that option is. Don't take the URM designation and you'll be judged by who you are (academic achievement, activities, essays, etc) and not your race and ethnicity.

Of course, if every URM did that, it would appear that some groups would never reach ORM status.

Well, if you feel that way, just apply as "prefer not to respond" or whatever that option is. Don't take the URM designation and you'll be judged by who you are (academic achievement, activities, essays, etc) and not your race and ethnicity.

Of course, if every URM did that, it would appear that some groups would never reach ORM status.

Actually my sister did that! Got her masters from an Ivy via the Continuing Ed route. Admission prerequisite was: you need to get A's in 3 incredibly difficult pre-admission courses where A's are rarely given. Only then are you admitted to the graduate program - and those A's are the only things considered for admission. She graduated with a master's degree from that ivy institution. But people still assumed she was admitted only because she was Native American and that seriously affected how she was treated at work, which included harassment and resentment from her boss who thought she might replace him one day. Sadly she killed herself a few years after graduation - suicide rates are very high on our reservation, as is alcoholism.

Last edited: