No volunteer experience in a medical setting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenberg23

Reaction score
I'm a rising sophomore in college and so far I have had no luck with finding a place that will give me exposure to a medical setting and I barely have any volunteer experiences. I was about to start a scribe job at a hospital but that didn't work out because of COVID. I have been applying to hospitals but a lot require experience and certain certifications which I don't have such as CMA/CNA. I'm starting to get worried that I won't be able to get clinical exposure and my resume will be lacking volunteer experiences. I'm not sure what I should do at this point, I don't want to run out of time.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a rising sophomore in college and so far I have had no luck with finding a place that will give me exposure to a medical setting and I barely have any volunteer experiences. I was about to start a scribe job at a hospital but that didn't work out because of COVID. I have been applying to hospitals but a lot require experience and certain certifications which I don't have such as CMA/CNA. I'm starting to get worried that I won't be able to get clinical exposure and my resume will be lacking volunteer experiences. I'm not sure what I should do at this point, I don't want to run out of time.
Don't worry, you still have lots of time! Just keep looking. I'm up here in Canada and as COVID starts to cool down here I've noticed more positions available. I assume the same will happen down where you're at.

But also look for contact tracing jobs, or other jobs which can be done online or on the phone.

Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
Consider becoming an EMT. Good experience, can volunteer or get paid and not too hard

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Time does not run out until you hit 40 years old and that's not a hard stop. If you need certification to get your foot in the door, get the certification.
Also, see what you can do to get some experience helping people in need. There are opportunities out there if you make an effort to find them.

Reactions: 2 users
Try the website volunteermatch. That’s how I got my hospice volunteering gig.

Reactions: 5 users
Like everyone else, you'll have to sacrifice and wait until the crisis passes.

Here's a harsh truth: your safety, as well as that of your family and society, is more important than your med school plans.

In the mean time, you can work on your nonclinical volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
Like everyone else, you'll have to sacrifice and wait until the crisis passes.

Here's a harsh truth: your safety, as well as that of your family and society, is more important than your med school plans.

In the mean time, you can work on your nonclinical volunteering.
That is great advice, thank you! I just don't want medical schools to think I wasted a whole freshman year doing nothing.

That is great advice, thank you! I just don't want medical schools to think I wasted a whole freshman year doing nothing.
I feel freshman year is a transition year. Don't worry about 'doing nothing'. At least I wouldn't myself.

the AAMC have previously reported approximately 10-20 individuals a year over 50 begin allopathic medical school each year. About 250 individuals over the age of 35 begin allopathic medical school each year
Time does not run out until you hit 40 years old and that's not a hard stop. If you need certification to get your foot in the door, get the certification.
Also, see what you can do to get some experience helping people in need. There are opportunities out there if you make an effort to find them.

Yep! I'm applying this cycle and I just turned 34. Never too late!

Reactions: 2 users

Two options:

1) Try and wait it out. If you are in a state that has decent numbers for cases, this may work.
2) Go out and get a certification/EMT like phlebotomy. EMT is great because it gives you some independent medical responsibilities and you can easily rack up some big hours over a couple of years and volly places allow you to jump into leadership roles easily.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Two options:

2) Go out and get a certification/EMT like phlebotomy. EMT is great because it gives you some independent medical responsibilities and you can easily rack up some big hours over a couple of years and volly places allow you to jump into leadership roles easily.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
How would something like a phlebotomy certification be used during the school year? Is it commonplace to be able to do that for say, a day a week, or a few hours here and there? Or is it really more for over the breaks when it can be a longer term "job"?

I'd gladly pay for my kid to get some sort of certification (she's definitely interested) since her clinical volunteering gig is currently on hold due to Covid, just wondering if it would actually be useful/be able to be put-to-use for a full-time student.

How would something like a phlebotomy certification be used during the school year? Is it commonplace to be able to do that for say, a day a week, or a few hours here and there? Or is it really more for over the breaks when it can be a longer term "job"?

I'd gladly pay for my kid to get some sort of certification (she's definitely interested) since her clinical volunteering gig is currently on hold due to Covid, just wondering if it would actually be useful/be able to be put-to-use for a full-time student.

Part time or PRN (as needed) at any hospital, clinic, urgent care, lab or blood donation center. If she’s flexible she should be able to find something that fits her school schedule.