psychMDhopefully

2+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2016
Status
Medical Student
So, what people say online about primary care and what I see don't really match up. People are saying midlevels are taking over primary care, and primary care is simple so midlevels can do it, but if this is the case, why is are the FM residents being recruited so heavily not just at my school, but other places as well? Recruiters are offering them stipends with in residency, signing bonuses, loan repayment, if it were easier and cheaper to replace FM with NP, why go through all the trouble to recruit FM. Why not just hire NPs. I've asked the people in the FM forum, and they said " Well who told you NPs are replacing FM physicians?" Basically everybody, its a common sentiment.

Aug 26, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
Because most of the time midlevels have to have supervising physicians and there are shortages in primary care providers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TedStark

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 28, 2016
You can't fake knowledge and good outcomes. NP's may have fooled a few sweet old ladies, but not the employers who are picking up the tab.

Reactions: PlutoBoy
Aug 26, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
They often have high patient satisfaction numbers though and are usually cheaper so their employers like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taddy Mason

30 Helens agree
2+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2015
The Seaward
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Reactions: W19

VA Hopeful Dr

15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
So, what people say online about primary care and what I see don't really match up. People are saying midlevels are taking over primary care, and primary care is simple so midlevels can do it, but if this is the case, why is are the FM residents being recruited so heavily not just at my school, but other places as well? Recruiters are offering them stipends with in residency, signing bonuses, loan repayment, if it were easier and cheaper to replace FM with NP, why go through all the trouble to recruit FM. Why not just hire NPs. I've asked the people in the FM forum, and they said " Well who told you NPs are replacing FM physicians?" Basically everybody, its a common sentiment.
So let me get this straight: "people" are saying that NPs are taking over primary care. Yet when we post in the FM forum, we all say that this is nonsense (and point out the sweet contracts we're all getting to prove it) so you post in the med student forums asking why the discrepancy?

Reactions: AceTomAce

girlofgrace7

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2007
California
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
NPs are becoming more prevalent, but they all need supervising doctors to work with them. If they have a million NPs, they're still going to need probably half that many doctors or so to sign off on their patients (and write the narcotic prescriptions they can't write). Also, in primary care, the NPs generally see the straight-forward patients. I know the NPs at my program can only see "normal" kids when they come in for well check-ups (not any kids with complicated medical conditions) and when kids come in with anything unusual, they come and find one of the attendings to go look at the kid. In specialty clinics, they usually see the relatively textbook kids (straight-forward diabetes kids, etc) rather than diagnostic or complex cases. In the hospital, they act essentially like a resident in most cases; they still have to have notes co-signed and round with an attending.

Aug 26, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
NPs are becoming more prevalent, but they all need supervising doctors to work with them. If they have a million NPs, they're still going to need probably half that many doctors or so to sign off on their patients (and write the narcotic prescriptions they can't write). Also, in primary care, the NPs generally see the straight-forward patients. I know the NPs at my program can only see "normal" kids when they come in for well check-ups (not any kids with complicated medical conditions) and when kids come in with anything unusual, they come and find one of the attendings to go look at the kid. In specialty clinics, they usually see the relatively textbook kids (straight-forward diabetes kids, etc) rather than diagnostic or complex cases. In the hospital, they act essentially like a resident in most cases; they still have to have notes co-signed and round with an attending.
I think some states allow them to practice independently now.

Jun 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student
So let me get this straight: "people" are saying that NPs are taking over primary care. Yet when we post in the FM forum, we all say that this is nonsense (and point out the sweet contracts we're all getting to prove it) so you post in the med student forums asking why the discrepancy?
I laughed reading this.