nocturnist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jok200

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a nocturnist position in the upstate ny. 250 base with 20k signing bonus. I thought that was kinda low for nocturnist positions, am I incorrect? Second question, I was thinking whatever they offered initially is a starting point, and I would be able to negotiate from that?

Any suggestions from the more experienced would help me a lot.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Do they offer any RVUs? or is it 250 all you get? Any other bonus? Actually if they don't offer any more bonuses then how many patient do you admit at night? There is a difference between 5, 10 and 20.

typically 5-6 on average, its a small place really. I didn't ask about RVU's, thanks for that. typically 20k signing bonus and the hospitalists make 40k in rvu's i believe. It's just i was wondering if 250 base was enough for that work, but with rvu's i would be looking at around 300/year i believe. any other thought's?

Members don't see this ad :)
typically 5-6 on average, its a small place really. I didn't ask about RVU's, thanks for that. typically 20k signing bonus and the hospitalists make 40k in rvu's i believe. It's just i was wondering if 250 base was enough for that work, but with rvu's i would be looking at around 300/year i believe. any other thought's?
5-6 admits a night? 12 hour shift? That's about 3 or 4 hours of work total, not counting X-cover BS which, assuming you have a good relationship with your nurses (which you should cultivate starting day 1 of your job) shouldn't take more than an hour total, barring an actual sick patient.

Think about it like this...would you do the same job that you had as an intern on night float in May or June for 4-6X the money you got paid to do that and for working half as many days a month? If the answer is yes (and all the other stuff like benes, malpractice, partners, location, etc, works out) then go for it. $250-300K for a hospitalist gig is a pretty decent deal.

Reactions: 1 user
upstate. have an offer with apogee as well for nights in another state., 260 base with no RVU's and only nights (which I prefer). I was going to work ED shifts on the side because the hospital shifts pay crap/hr.

Fantastic? Lol. Compared to where?

Though 250 is legit for a night gig. If you manage an rvu bonus above that then all the better. But I have a sneaking suspicion that if you're likely going to be pulling in 40 over your base that you're gong to brunch busier than 5 or 6 per night.

Level three admit is a bit more than 3.5 rvus but rounding down a bit for easier math. So 6 patients a night for 15 nights a month is like 3800 rvu. If your bonus is kicking in about there and your making an extra 40k per year. Hm. Looks like base is being paid at VERY healthy $65 per wrvu. So assuming the same. You're probay actually admitting 7-8 patients a night.

I'm making a lot of assumptions. But seems reasonable. I don't think you'll be bore or massacred.

generally speaking, 5-6 pts a night and 250K is not a bad gig. But be careful reading the fine print. Are you responsible for codes or rapid responses? are you the man for procedures at night? do you cover the ICU and what back up do you have? is it truly an average of 5-6 pts a night (confirm that from as many internal resources as you can)? any rules on what your schedule would look like if one or more nocturnists quit? Are you expected to cover other people's unexpected absences? What is the average acuity of the patients you will be admitting? What's the cost of living and is 250K really worth turning into a zombie for half of each month?

Oh It is Apogee? I know them. They called me once saying that there are a couple of options near my city so I wouldn't have to move too much. All their jobs were by the coast so I am like yeah I'll do it. But their base pay is higher than 260,000.

generally speaking, 5-6 pts a night and 250K is not a bad gig. But be careful reading the fine print. Are you responsible for codes or rapid responses? are you the man for procedures at night? do you cover the ICU and what back up do you have? is it truly an average of 5-6 pts a night (confirm that from as many internal resources as you can)? any rules on what your schedule would look like if one or more nocturnists quit? Are you expected to cover other people's unexpected absences? What is the average acuity of the patients you will be admitting? What's the cost of living and is 250K really worth turning into a zombie for half of each month?

Great points.

Not everyone is a zombie half the month. Some people love the nightshift and do fine switching to semi-days on days off.