Nocurnists/night shifts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone in a group that has nocturinist?

Anyone in a group that pays more for night shifts? How much?

Members don't see this ad.

We have four 'nocturinist'. I seldom work a night shift. Three have done that for 5-10 years; number 4 recently started. Before that, I worked 2 weeks of nights every 6 months. Our night differential is approximately a 20% rate increase.

I'm in an academic group that has nocturnists... I myself am one. Flat bonus depending on weekday/weekend.

Since we're salaried, somewhat tough to state how much... but I "make" a shift every 3-4 nights.

Cheers!
-d

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you still ask for a shift differential if you are asking for a straight schedule? I am considering going nights but would want sun-wed weekly. What do you think?

I'm a nocturnist. My group of 20-something docs staffs 3 community hospitals and has 5 nocturnists. We get an hourly differential and the "day" docs work 1-2 nights/month without any shift differential for those night shifts. The day docs in the group have to work 20 more 12 hr shifts a year to make what I do, so it's a decent difference in pay.

My group stopped allowing regular scheduling, like Sun-Weds, because it was considered to be unfair to the other nocturnists who always ended up with Thurs-Sat. The only one in the group who gets a regular schedule is the one who does 8-9 shifts in a row and then gets a chunk of days off. I'd go nuts, but it seems to work well for him.

Do nocturnist in general just keep the same shift every night or do they still have to work some days?

I'm curious, do you find yourself staying up overnight always (even days off) so you don't change your circadian rhythm?

Do nocturnist in general just keep the same shift every night or do they still have to work some days?

Depends on your contract/arrangement...I have fixed weeknight shifts & 1 weekend per month. Others in my group switch it up some.

I'm curious, do you find yourself staying up overnight always (even days off) so you don't change your circadian rhythm?

Nope. I have a kid. I do sleep in post-shift; but if I'm not working I'm typically up. That said, it lets me be at work when kiddo's asleep, so I don't miss anything important.

Cheers!
-d

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I'm also a nocturnist in my academic hospital group. I think there are only 3 of us out of over 40 docs. One works a fixed schedule with a weekend, one works at only one of our 3 hospitals, and I flip-flop btwn 2 sites with a variable schedule. I don't get a differential, but usually work 1-2 shifts less since we're salaried.

Oh, and I pretty much stay on a nighttime schedule when I'm off. I go to bed around 3am, wake up around 10-11am. Still allows me to get things done during those 'normal business hours'

Last edited:
Can you still ask for a shift differential if you are asking for a straight schedule? I am considering going nights but would want sun-wed weekly. What do you think?

You can ask for anything you want. Whether you get it depends on how much they like you and how many other people are applying.

My group would tell you to GTH. Actually, if you were willing to work 16 nights a month, we might just accommodate you. We have one guy who pretty much works weekend evenings/nights only because he has another job. Who's going to complain about bringing him on board?

You can ask for anything you want. Whether you get it depends on how much they like you and how many other people are applying. -

- they:love: me Or they will if I go to nights! We are single coverage overnights and lately our census has been high so the jobs sort of stinks! s No one wants to do it - not even sure if I do.

But the shift differential is not that important to me, mainly the straight schedule is. I just saw this and got to thinking -maybe I could have both ! Guess I'm a greedy somab***h!

My group would tell you to GTH-
-wow!!! That's extreme.?
PS activeduty-I like your blog. Very helpful! Cheers

I do only nights, works out to be a 20% shift reduction (as we're salaried).

Basically its supply/demand. Just put up a list of things you want and the group will determine if those "things" are worth it to them to have reduced nights.

t

i recently spoke to Tyson on the PCL line... must have been a night then!!!

My group has 8 night docs. We get $40/hr shift differential. We did some research and the avg was $50/hr.

We have one partner who has essentially a fixed night schedule. She works Sat, Sun and Monday.

Thats all yr except for her paid vacations. She is the only one, the reason is she has been doing it 10+ years when there werent a lot of night docs and there isnt exactly a plethora of people dying to work those shifts.