noise cancellation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhettoric

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, according to the mcat prep doc, noise cancellation headphones will be made available to test takers. Did any of you April 7th takers use them? How were they?

I've taken up the habit of wearing earplugs on all my exams. They really help cut down on the distractions. Apparently I could have a radio transmitter or some crap though so I can't wear them on the mcat.

Members don't see this ad.

The ones at my center were orange and actually worked pretty damn well. That was something I was very pleased wtith... it's strange though because it makes it sound like you are in a vacuum. They are full size headsets, not earplugs.

Yea i thought they worked well since i didn't even hear people coming in and getting seated after me. It did feel a little weird though like you are in vacuum.

I had the orange ones also. They worked well, but I found them too freakin' annoying because they felt like they were sucking my eardrums outward:( .

Good thing I practiced a bunch of times at the Kaplan center... I got used to tuning out unexpected distractions, so I felt better off without them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to WalMart and bought a set of headphones at the sporting goods section(I think these are for rifle practice) to not only actually block out sound during my FL's, but to simulate the testing experience more.

I went to WalMart and bought a set of headphones at the sporting goods section(I think these are for rifle practice) to not only actually block out sound during my FL's, but to simulate the testing experience more.

did u also buy one of those t-shirts that says "I'm a big dork" in the clothing section?:smuggrin:

i had the orange ones as well... worked pretty well i thought... just felt weird, just like others have said.

also, the proctors at my test center told me that we were allowed to bring our own ear plugs if we wanted... not sure if that is true for all the other test sites.