Non-academic salary...confused!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathAndResearch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Resident here trying to understand the world outside academia.

As per Medscape 2018, average pathologist compensation is 286K. It also says that 78% are employed and 18% are self employed. Based on these, a lot of folks in private practice possibly make less than 300K. But whenever salary is discussed in this forum, almost none from private practice reports a salary less than 400K.

For example
Attendings. How many hours do you work? What setting? How much do you make?

Is it possible that members who post in this forum do not represent the majority that work in private practice? A sampling bias? Or am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad.

As per Medscape 2018, average pathologist compensation is 286K. It also says that 78% are employed and 18% are self employed. Based on these, a lot of folks in private practice possibly make less than 300K. But whenever salary is discussed in this forum, almost none from private practice reports a salary less than 400K.

For example

Is it possible that members who post in this forum do not represent the majority that work in private practice? A sampling bias? Or am I missing something?

"Compensation" has different meanings and equations. Some surveys include calculating a dollar value for time off including educational leave, supplies, health insurance, malpractice, moving expenses, loan repayment if that applies others do not.

Also compensation surveys heavy skew towards non-partner responses making the data even murkier.

Both can be true is my main point.

For example

Great questions. I think the biggest problem is that a survey is a survey and they are for the most part, generally reliable. When I say generally reliable, I am basically saying you need to be aware of their limitations. For example, Medscape is around 20,000 individuals who respond on their own behalf. This creates two problems. First, not enough people, second, self reporting. With that being said, there is some value there. In your case and many new physician's cases, the survey data is guidance but practical knowledge of compensation models, geographic differences, private vs. employed, and so on become much more important. Surveys are certainly good tools, but they are only 1 very limited tool. To get a detailed understanding of your question, you need to take into account the factors above, including advice from this forum. I hope that helps.