Non-ACGME Fellow - Can't get Full NYS Licence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gronk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Planning a fellowship for next year. I'm a fully qualified surgical resident from Australia with the equivalent of my board certification (FRACS).

Looking at fellowships in NY. Now, is it true as a foreign graduate, I can only obtain a J1 visa/H1-B visa and if so I'm only able to obtain a limited NYS license rather than a full license.

If a program requires me to obtain attending privileges am I correct in thinking that I need a full license to obtain attending privileges?

I guess what I'm asking, is there any way for me to obtain a full license as an Australian trained resident (from a non-ACGME program)?

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

- yes you need a full unrestricted license to work as an attending.

- Have you done your USMLE ? To the best of my knowledge you can't deal directly with patients without taking the USMLE.

- Is the fellowship a ACGME accredidated fellowship? if so and it involves patient care you need USMLE.

- for a full license in any state is USA I think you should have passed your step 3 of your USMLE.

Hope this helps. Again don't take my word for it.

I think you need to have done residency in the US to get an unrestricted medical license. From the NY site regarding requirements for physician licensure:

Experience

Postgraduate Training Requirements

Graduates of Registered or Accredited Medical Programs
If you graduated from a NYS- registered or LCME- or AOA-accredited medical program or are pursuing the 5th Pathway route to licensure, you must complete at least one year of postgraduate hospital training in an accredited residency program approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, the American Osteopathic Association, or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.

Graduates of Non-accredited Medical Programs
If you did not graduate from a NYS-registered or LCME- or AOA-accredited medical program, you must complete at least three years of postgraduate hospital training in an accredited residency program approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, the American Osteopathic Association, or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.

I wasn't in NYS but in NC, and have a friend in CA who did the exact same thing as myself - we're both fuly licensed (equivalent to board certified) Canadian physicians who went to the US for a Fellowship. Getting the limited/resident license for the purposes of the program was not an issue, but neither of us would've been able to get an unrestricted license without taking the Steps, nor could we actually sit the board exams for the Fellowship. NYS might be different, but my best guess is that you would be able to get a postgrad license for the Fellowship, but not a full license.