Non apa accredited internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parto123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im reading alot about people who didnt match, and accredited v. non accredited sites.

What are the consequences of interning in a non accredited site? Can you graduate? can you take the licensing exam? is it different for different schools, or is there a uniform standard?

thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that is not a big deal unless you are applying for a government psych job, a military psych job, or are intending to follow the division 40 guidelines. Regarding the latter, however, there are many neuropsychologists who manage without APA accrediated internships.

The interesting thing about all of this is that some of the very best internship experiences are designed by students independent of APPIC. One of my classmates did not even try to match, but instead knew the clinic where she wanted to work and crafted a perfect training year for her interests.

Some schools specifically require an APA internship, others don't care. Just something to keep in mind.

If you attend an APA accredited internship you may save yourself some headaches when you apply for licensure. For most states, completion of an APA internship is accepted as fulfillment of the predoctoral training requirement. If you do not go to an APA accredited internship you have to document all of your hours and convince the licensing board that it meets their requirements. The importance of this depends upon your state. If your licensing board is a pain in the a$$ (i.e. California or Illinois), it is a problem. If your licensing board is relatively laid back (i.e. Mississippi), it shouldn’t matter too much.