Non-APA, non-APPIC internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UhOh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this will seem outrageous, but I'm asking out of necessity. I would really like to have some guidance about where I can find clinical pre-doctoral internships outside of the match. I'm particularly interested in non-APA, non-APPIC accredited internships and where I could find out about those.

Again, I realize that this very likely seems absolutely insane in the membrane ;) but in short I think a non-accredited internship would be the only feasible option for me (fail - I know).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

If you are in California or in one of the institutions affiliated with CAPIC, you could go that route. Otherwise, I would just ask around (mentors, externship placements, folks in your program, others) and contact sites and/or places in the area of where you want to work and see what is available. I would imagine that there is a high probability that you would have to complete a non APA/APPIC internship without being paid, so be ready for that too. Good luck!

I realize this will seem outrageous, but I'm asking out of necessity. I would really like to have some guidance about where I can find clinical pre-doctoral internships outside of the match. I'm particularly interested in non-APA, non-APPIC accredited internships and where I could find out about those.

Again, I realize that this very likely seems absolutely insane in the membrane ;) but in short I think a non-accredited internship would be the only feasible option for me (fail - I know).

Your best bet is to talk with your DCT/program about what opportunities may be available to you. They will probably give you the best opportunity if you need to stay local for your internship. best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember, there ARE non-APPIC sites that particpate in the match. If they are not APPIC members, they are not in that online directory. I think the only way you can actually find all them of them is by going on the online APPI application portal and selecting a state. You have do do this in order to submit your application to any sites, but obviously you are just using this feature to get a glance at the sites in each state that are participating in the match.

Honestly, I would stay away from these sites unless they are brand-new VA internships. There were like 9 new VA internships last year that were not in the directory and may not be in the directory this year either. Tuscaloosa VAMC, Boise VA, Huntington VA, West Palm Beach VA were all brand new last year and were not in the APPIC directory, since they were not yet members.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I would stay away from these sites unless they are brand-new VA internships. There were like 9 new VA internships last year that were not in the directory and may not be in the directory this year either. Tuscaloosa VAMC, Boise VA, Huntington VA, West Palm Beach VA were all brand new last year and were not in the APPIC directory, since they were not yet members.

I know the VA released a statement earlier this year/last year about VA internship programs that were not yet acred. I believe completion at one of these sites did not bar the student from future VA employment, though they were still subject to any limitations from completing a non-APA acred. internship. OP, it may be worth exploring if you have any flexibility.

Taking bets whether or not this thread will turn into a for-profit school debate or a worryfest regarding the poor job market for psychologists.

Reactions: 1 users

Did you ever find an internship site? Please let me know if you know of someone that may be in a similar situation as yours. I have found a site but I am in need of a second intern. Thanks!

Did you ever find an internship site? Please let me know if you know of someone that may be in a similar situation as yours. I have found a site but I am in need of a second intern. Thanks!

I knew someone who didn't match but went to a former practicum site and asked the supervisor if she'd be willing to create an internship program (non-APPIC/non-APA), and it worked out. If you have a close relationship with any former practicum supervisors/sites, you could attempt that route as a backup option. I'm not sure how common it is, but it might be worth a try (as long as you understand the professional repercussions of a non-APA/non-APPIC site).