Non-Author or Non-article journal contributions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jormungand

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this year I have a few non-author and non-article contributions to published journal issues. I tried searching for these and didn't see too much come up (most of the similar stuff was from a while ago), and was wondering what the best way of incorporating these into secondaries or update letters would be (already submitted my primary, so not much I can do there).

I don't think these will contribute much in terms of the overall impressiveness of my app, but I am curious how I could put them in since they might be of interest to an adcom or interviewer.

1. I found out last year that one of the images I helped to create for a publication was selected as the cover image for the journal it was published in. Does this merit a separate mention of some kind? It feels noteworthy or at least interesting, but I know that it doesn't exactly indicate scientific merit.

2. I was listed in the appendix of a fairly large multi-center research study published in a high-impact factor journal as a contributor. I spent a good deal of my time at my job working on this study, so I'd like to bring up that it bore some fruit, but it feels a bit odd to tell reviewers to go into the appendix if they want to find my name.

3. Similar to 2, I was listed in the "acknowledgements" section of a paper for my role in getting the study to publication. Would I treat this the same as #2?

Members don't see this ad.

So this year I have a few non-author and non-article contributions to published journal issues. I tried searching for these and didn't see too much come up (most of the similar stuff was from a while ago), and was wondering what the best way of incorporating these into secondaries or update letters would be (already submitted my primary, so not much I can do there).

I don't think these will contribute much in terms of the overall impressiveness of my app, but I am curious how I could put them in since they might be of interest to an adcom or interviewer.

1. I found out last year that one of the images I helped to create for a publication was selected as the cover image for the journal it was published in. Does this merit a separate mention of some kind? It feels noteworthy or at least interesting, but I know that it doesn't exactly indicate scientific merit.

2. I was listed in the appendix of a fairly large multi-center research study published in a high-impact factor journal as a contributor. I spent a good deal of my time at my job working on this study, so I'd like to bring up that it bore some fruit, but it feels a bit odd to tell reviewers to go into the appendix if they want to find my name.

3. Similar to 2, I was listed in the "acknowledgements" section of a paper for my role in getting the study to publication. Would I treat this the same as #2?
1) You could have mentioned it in an Artistic Endeavors entry, with perhaps an overview of any other endeavors in that realm.

2 & 3) Your description of your role and contributions in the Research entry is sufficient. Don't waste characters to say you were named as "contributor" or got an "acknowledgement." They give that same accolade to the typist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Got it, thanks! No changing the primary app now, but hopefully someone else benefits from this advice down the line.

Reactions: 1 user