Non-cardiac Thoracic Surgery Fellowships?

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by dr.evil, May 1, 2004.

1. dr.evil

dr.evil Senior Member
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Can anyone help me out with finding these fellowships in the U.S.? I know they exist (I think) and are few in number but think this may be ideal for what I want to practice in the future.

If you know, I would greatly appreciate it.
    :luck: Happy May Day

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aboo-ali-sina

aboo-ali-sina Member
    7+ Year Member

brigham has one with sugarbaker, MGH has one, cleveland clinic has one. MD Anderson has a thoracic oncology fellowship so does Memorial Sloan-Kettering.

that's all of the ones I know of but I'm sure there are more

4. KGUNNER1

KGUNNER1 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Pitt has one with Jim Luketich.

5. droliver

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think most of the ones mentioned here prefer CTVS trained residents prior although you aren't excluded from a few of them if you haven't (although I suspect you'd have little chance of obtaining the position if you hadn't). The ones I know of that were specifically set up for people interested in thoracic surgery without CTVS training prior are @ USC (Dr. DeMeisters's "Foregut Surgery" fellowship), Wisconsin, and I think Penn State. I've gotten the impression there's increasing momentum to set up more thoracic-only fellowships with some people speculating there might eventually be a seperate board for it.

6. vent

vent Member
    7+ Year Member

There is one in Upenn. Applications acceted in March each year. The other one in Sloan kattering. You an also find something in CTSNET.org

7. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Rhinestone Cowboy

Attending Physician
    WashU has a "Thoracic focus" track for their CT fellows, but they still do some cardiac stuff.

8. dr.evil

dr.evil Senior Member
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks a lot for the replies everyone. I'll keep hunting around and try to find these places. Is the Wisconsin one University of Wisconsin or Medical College of Wisconsin? I have to say that they do advertise these well on their websites.

I would just like to spend an extra year doing a little more complex lung and esophageal surgery but don't necessarily want to do hearts when I'm out. Just general and thoracic surgery if I could.

Thanks for everyones help.

9. surg

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I know that you specified the US, but if you can go out of the US, I'm pretty sure Toronto has one has well.

10. aboo-ali-sina

aboo-ali-sina Member
    7+ Year Member

actually, the toronto program is one of the best in the world for non cardia thoracic (or at least it has a reputation of being one of the best)

11. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Rhinestone Cowboy

Attending Physician
    A fellowship of this type in Toronto counts as a US fellowship . . . the boards give reciprocity.

12. surg

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Of note though, since the board in the US is a CT board, you can't be board certified in CT in the US unless you have done both. (An attending I rotated with finished both GS and non-cardiac Thoracic in Canada, Toronto I think, and was only boarded in GS, b/c of this.)

13. aboo-ali-sina

aboo-ali-sina Member
    7+ Year Member

while this is true, you are eligible for certification in non cardiac thoracic in canada and most US institutions will grant you privellages with canadian "board certification"

i know of several attendings who have done this and their privellages are limited to non cardiac thoracic procedures

14. dr.evil

dr.evil Senior Member
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just wanted to write back and say that all of your information has been very helpful. I have contact several of the programs and have received the information I was wanting. Thanks a lot guys

15. vent

vent Member
    7+ Year Member

Right now I have got the information that UCLA is currently accepting for July 2005 Thoracic Fellowship.