• It's our birthday!

Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

Non Cards / GI Fellowship (specifically ID) competitiveness

Spookster831

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2008
Dublin
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,

I have seen a lot of talk about Cards / GI fellowships and which programmes are more likely to match you to good fellowships in these areas but I was wondering about other sub specialties. Specifically, I am very interested in Infectious Disease and am planning to apply to IM in the States next year with a view to pursuing an ID fellowship afterwards. I am an IMG (I go to school in Dublin, Ireland) and I don't have 250+ step ones or masses of research and thus I have accepted I won't be getting into Hopkins/MGH/wherever.

So basically I am wondering what sort of institution I would need to match to for getting an ID fellowship after IM. I know ID is less competitive than other fellowships but I assume it is still difficult to get a position and I don't want to go over to the states for 3 years of IM and end up not matching to one.

So what is the actual gap in competitiveness for fellowships between Cards/GI/HemeOnc/Pul/Endo/ID etc?

thanks!

Last edited:

jdh71

Grim Optimist.
    10+ Year Member
    Dec 14, 2006
    Last House on the Block, USA
    1. Attending Physician
      Hi,

I have seen a lot of talk about Cards / GI fellowships and which programmes are more likely to match you to good fellowships in these areas but I was wondering about other sub specialties. Specifically, I am very interested in Infectious Disease and am planning to apply to IM in the States next year with a view to pursuing an ID fellowship afterwards. I am an IMG (I go to school in Dublin, Ireland) and I don't have 250+ step ones or masses of research and thus I have accepted I won't be getting into Hopkins/MGH/wherever.

So basically I am wondering what sort of institution I would need to match to for getting an ID fellowship after IM. I know ID is less competitive than other fellowships but I assume it is still difficult to get a position and I don't want to go over to the states for 3 years of IM and end up not matching to one.

So what is the actual gap in competitiveness for fellowships between Cards/GI/HemeOnc/Pul/Endo/ID etc?

thanks!

ID's not that competitive here right now and as long as you are interested you should be able to find an ID fellowship and probably a really good one if you don't mind an extra year of research.

I think the order of competitiveness of fellowship looks a little like this:

Allergy/Immuno > GI > Cards > Heme/Onc > Pulm/CC > CC = Nephro = Endo = ID = *Rheum

Of course, TOP programs in any of those areas could be VERY competitive.

Last edited:
      About the Ads

DoctwoB

10+ Year Member
      Jan 10, 2010
      1. Attending Physician
        ID's not that competitive here right now and as long as you are interested you should be able to find an ID fellowship and probably a really good one if you don't mind an extra year of research.

I think the order of competitiveness of fellowship looks a little like this:

Allergy/Immuno > GI > Cards > Heme/Onc > Pulm/CC > CC = Nephro = Endo = ID = *Rheum

Of course, TOP programs in any of those areas could be VERY competitive.

I know AI is a small field but is it really more competitive then GI or cards? I always heard it was more on heme/onc level.

jdh71

Grim Optimist.
        10+ Year Member
        Dec 14, 2006
        Last House on the Block, USA
        1. Attending Physician
          I know AI is a small field but is it really more competitive then GI or cards? I always heard it was more on heme/onc level.

I think it sure is if we go off the number of applicants that match as a percentage of total applicants applying, last time I looked. There's only a handful of spots. I've got no real dog in the fight regarding which is actually THE absolutely most competitive.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.