non citizen chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zest

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'am desperately looking for some positive information regarding the admission of foreign students to med school here . I have finished my 1st year of pre med here and I'am hoping to make it to some school . But the chances look very bleak!!!! Any help?????

Members don't see this ad.

zest, welcome to SDN.

I don't really know about admissions... I think what really sucks is that foreign students can't get the same financial aid help that citizens receive. The med school that I will be going to next year told me that if I was a foreign student, I would have to show that I currently have the money for tuition for the next four years - something like $120,000 up front!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not necessarily true. There are schools out there which ask for money upfront and there are schools which will ask you to pay for only one year at a time.
I do not think it is fare to ask for a full 4-year tuition. If this rule applied not only to international students but to everyone else, there won't be any doctors in US. I have my own strong opinion about the whole thing and I can develop it more...

If you have a Greencard, you shouldn't have a problem getting into medical school. I'm at Cornell, and I know of at least 3, and probably more like 5 or 6, people in my class who have Greencards.

However, I think the chances are probably very slim without it.

Good luck!

are you guys talking about permanent residents compared with foreign students? PRs receive financial aid just like citizens do. Foreign students have to show financial ability prior to admission (at some places).

Thanx for replying to me so quickly...at least I know I am not the only one. I am aware about the full tuition that they ask for before admission, but schools like Davis told me upfront that they wouldnt even look at my application because I dont have a PR right now. Does anyone know of colleges ( especially UC) which accept non-citizens and non-PRs ?

Hi Zest,
I was in your shoes two years when I was an international student (I'm a US resident now). Honestly, the chance for international students to get into US med schools is about 10%, compared to yourself if you were a resident. And the chance for CA schools is 1%.
I know, it's kind of unfair. :( That's the way it is.

Zest, what stats do you have? Remember that you are not alone. 10% chance for non-residents is less than realistic. It is much more than that. I did some school research and found out that there were about 5200 international applications across US last year, total, and 247 were accepted. Considering that people (especially international students) apply to more than 10 schools at a time, it makes that there are about 520 actual international applicants across US and less than half of them were accepted.

Hi dear friends
It's true that a lot of international students do apply ...but u know what ..may be private colleges accept u ..and i cant go to any college due to constraints of living either in the bay area or on the east coast . Does anybody know of particular med schools which are a little lineant on accepting foriegn students? I've also heard that for a foriegn student the gpa and the mcat scores have to be exceptionally good ..is that true??? I should say 'am not an extrordinary brain!
Also since i've lived in cali for more than a year ..i wanted to know if the schools will consider me as a resident of california????