Non-citizen US DO grads considered international or domestic for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluffpop

Reaction score
Hi, I know that MD graduates are (by and large) considered "US applicants" when being matched for residency, so I was wondering what it was for DO's. I asked Touro and they said yes, they're considered at par with US citizens. UNECOM says even if you studied DO in the US you are considered an IMG. What is the truth?!!!

Would really appreciate answers from international DO grads or adcoms, instead of speculation or hearsay. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you will still be international. I've seen it complicate getting residency unless tow a green card holder

Yes, you will still be international. I've seen it complicate getting residency unless tow a green card holder

thank you for answering! if you don't mind me asking, could you elaborate on what these complications might be? given that there are no IMG DO's, are international DO's considered the equivalent of an "IMG" even though they went to school in the US. not sure where they stand in the totem pole (n may be too small so was not able to get my hands on this statistic)

Members don't see this ad :)
also @Goro if you have a minute would really appreciate your learned opinion in this matter

Hi, I know that MD graduates are (by and large) considered "US applicants" when being matched for residency, so I was wondering what it was for DO's. I asked Touro and they said yes, they're considered at par with US citizens. UNECOM says even if you studied DO in the US you are considered an IMG. What is the truth?!!!

Would really appreciate answers from international DO grads or adcoms, instead of speculation or hearsay. Thank you!
Outside my knowledge base. Sorry.

thank you for answering! if you don't mind me asking, could you elaborate on what these complications might be? given that there are no IMG DO's, are international DO's considered the equivalent of an "IMG" even though they went to school in the US. not sure where they stand in the totem pole (n may be too small so was not able to get my hands on this statistic)
Arguably you will be seen in a better light given that you graduated from an American school. However, you still create the problem for them of having to sponsor your visa. Not all programs sponsor visa.

Reactions: 1 user
Arguably you will be seen in a better light given that you graduated from an American school. However, you still create the problem for them of having to sponsor your visa. Not all programs sponsor visa.

Gotcha! Do you know if there are any resources where I can look up this info? None that I've found so far but mayma my best bet would be to try to talk to as my non-resident DOs as possible

Gotcha! Do you know if there are any resources where I can look up this info? None that I've found so far but mayma my best bet would be to try to talk to as my non-resident DOs as possible
Once you are in medical school, these resources will be available to you