Jan 8, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am applying to residency in the upcoming cycle and I was wondering if I could get a non-clinical letter? I'll have 3 strong clinical letters but for the fourth one, I was wondering if I could get it from my HIV clinic director? I have been working at this HIV center for about 8 years and work with underserved patients in several capacities. If I have 3 strong clinical letter, can my 4th be non-clinical?

Thank you.

rokshana

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hi everyone,

I am applying to residency in the upcoming cycle and I was wondering if I could get a non-clinical letter? I'll have 3 strong clinical letters but for the fourth one, I was wondering if I could get it from my HIV clinic director? I have been working at this HIV center for about 8 years and work with underserved patients in several capacities. If I have 3 strong clinical letter, can my 4th be non-clinical?

Thank you.
How is that non clinical?

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hi everyone,

Thank you.
Agree it seems clinical even if it’s not from a rotation.

It sounds like you probably want this letter.

OP
J
Jan 8, 2019
@rokshana @GoSpursGo , what if the letter is from a PhD and nurse but not MD? They're the executive directors of the clinic. They've seen me work with multiple MD's and they've seen me built up programs for the clinic! Is that still clinical?

MSTPlease

7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
@rokshana @GoSpursGo , what if the letter is from a PhD and nurse but not MD? They're the executive directors of the clinic. They've seen me work with multiple MD's and they've seen me built up programs for the clinic! Is that still clinical?
I would say it is not but given that MD/PhDs always have a 4th letter from their PI, I don't think it's unreasonable to have a 4th letter from something that you've been involved with for 8 years and has an obvious tie in to medicine.

Merely

Probationary Status
5+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2012
Somewhere Sunny
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
Bro we answered your question in the psych forum stop cross posting..yes you can use this letter...

rokshana

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Definitely not a letter from a nurse.
The PhD, possibly, but would have as a 4th letter and not one of your requisite LoR.
But what a sad statement that an HIV clinic does not have a physician leading it.

Reactions: AdmiralChz

evilbooyaa

Staff member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes, it's fine as one of your supplemental letters. Doubly so if you're planning a career in IM/ID or can connect that experience to your field of interest (Psych as insinuated above is reasonable as well)

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Definitely not a letter from a nurse.
The PhD, possibly, but would have as a 4th letter and not one of your requisite LoR.
But what a sad statement that an HIV clinic does not have a physician leading it.
I don't really agree about a PhD not being acceptable as a letter writer. As others have said, people with strong research backgrounds have their PI write letters for them all the time, and a bunch of those PIs are PhDs. If you can get 3 other letters from MDs, great, but it's not the end of the world if you can't.

I would not ask the nurse for a letter, though.