Non-clinical/research jobs on ERAS? To include or not to include that is the question???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedGrl@2022

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am confused. Two advisors at my medical school told me that I should leave out my non-clinical/research jobs. Such as being a server, retail, etc. On one hand, I think my CV already has enough on it and I am afraid of diluting my application but on the other hand, I think it may add to show that I can do customer service, hold down multiple jobs at a time, etc. (Also, these odd jobs gave me insight into the health challenges that those who work in these industries face. For instance, during my server jobs, a few of my co-workers had health issues but they couldn't afford to see a physician or pay for their medications, etc. One of them died and another would have multiple health emergencies at work.)

Another advisor said that I should include them and that I should ensure that I have no gaps since graduating high school. I am a non-traditional student who graduated undergrad over 10 years ago and almost graduated high school 20 years ago. (I had 2 server jobs and 3 retail jobs since graduating high school.) Before attending medical school I had a few research jobs at a government research institution. There was one year that I did not have a research position and I worked as a server. I could just put that one to not have a hole in my CV on ERAS.

Any attendings or program directors out there with any advice? Am I overthinking this? (I am applying to Family Medicine and Preventive Medicine.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This probably falls under the category of does not matter, but I err on the side of making sure your CV has no gaps so I would list them. I do not think they will be seen especially positively, nor do I think they are a negative, it just sort of is filler on your CV to fill in the time so they aren’t wondering what you were doing.

Also, if you didn’t include it you’re not missing out on some great positive in your app. But you might get asked about gaps in your CV during an interview, so you could wind up inadvertently having a 5 minute conversation about your retail position… which probably isn’t how you want to spend time in an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. I had a clinical job before I started medical school that has next to no relevance to me now, but I still include it on my CV to demonstrate that I was doing something between the two years from graduating college til starting med school. If the experience stimulated your interest in working with underserved populations, then that should be in your personal statement, but I don't think anyone will ask you about those lines otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user