Non clinical to clinical volunteering hrs ratio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

will it look bad to have significantly more non-clinical volunteering hours than clinical volunteering hours?

Members don't see this ad.

will it look bad to have significantly more non-clinical volunteering hours than clinical volunteering hours?
Gotta give us numbers to get more accurate opinions. How many non-clinical and clinical hours are we talking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotta give us numbers to get more accurate opinions. How many non-clinical and clinical hours are we talking?
I will have about 700-800 hrs of non clinical and 220 of clinical by the time of applications. About a hundred of the Clinical is from hospice.... not just that but my research hours( clinical research, don’t knw if this will make a diff) will be about 960, work(non clinical) +1000 and leadership hours about 300. My shadowing is a 100 but it’s all outside of the US. Thus, overall, I feel like my app would look lopesided.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not as long as you have significant clinical hours too.
I will have about 700-800 hrs of non clinical and 220 of clinical by the time of applications. About a hundred of the Clinical is from hospice.... not just that but my research hours( clinical research, don’t knw if this will make a diff) will be about 960, work(non clinical) +1000 and leadership hours about 300. My shadowing is a 100 but it’s all outside of the US. Thus, overall, I feel like my app would look lopesided. Do you also think so?

You really need about 50 hours of shadowing in the US. I’m not sure about clinical research. Sometimes the people you work with aren’t really patients they are subjects depending on how your people fit it might just be research!

You really need about 50 hours of shadowing in the US. I’m not sure about clinical research. Sometimes the people you work with aren’t really patients they are subjects depending on how your people fit it might just be research!
Is that about all I need? My stats are good, but my ECs are really stressing me out. If I get those shadowing hours, will I still qualify for MD schools ( whatever tier) ? My gpa is a 3.8 and mcat 515.

Yes you’ll qualify stats wise. But remember that every cycle only about 40 percent of the applicants get accepted. Many stellar applicants are rejected every year so be realistic !

I will have about 700-800 hrs of non clinical and 220 of clinical by the time of applications. About a hundred of the Clinical is from hospice.... not just that but my research hours( clinical research, don’t knw if this will make a diff) will be about 960, work(non clinical) +1000 and leadership hours about 300. My shadowing is a 100 but it’s all outside of the US. Thus, overall, I feel like my app would look lopesided. Do you also think so?
Your ECs are fine. Similar to mine, tbh.

Based on my gpaand mcat ( 3.8 and 515) what type of schools do you think I should aim for? Also I’m urm. AA
You being URM, especially AA, makes your life on the application trail "easier." With your stats and ECs, aim high!! All state schools and whatever private out-of-state schools you want. @Goro is a better determiner of where to apply based on stats/ ECs/ URM.

Is 100 - 150 of clinical volunteering enough (currently a Junior, want to avoid taking a gap year if possible)?