Non-clinical volunteering or leadership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam_jones1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just looking for some advice...generally what's more important, leadership or non-clinical volunteering? I have a little bit of each right now. I have two leadership positions on two different clubs I am involved in, and a semester of non-clinical volunteering from my freshman year. I am a junior now, and I have committed to another semester of leadership for my two clubs. I realized (from SDN actually) that non-clinical volunteering is important for a med school application and was thinking I might pick up my volunteering again this semester but I don't want to over extend myself. I am also trying to raise my GPA (it's a 3.5 at the moment) so I really want to focus on that (I also have a part-time job). So my question, would it be a good idea to commit to another semester of volunteering? Are my leadership positions just as important?

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, non-clinical volunteering is more important than leadership. However, leadership is important.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just looking for some advice...generally what's more important, leadership or non-clinical volunteering? I have a little bit of each right now. I have two leadership positions on two different clubs I am involved in, and a semester of non-clinical volunteering from my freshman year. I am a junior now, and I have committed to another semester of leadership for my two clubs. I realized (from SDN actually) that non-clinical volunteering is important for a med school application and was thinking I might pick up my volunteering again this semester but I don't want to over extend myself. I am also trying to raise my GPA (it's a 3.5 at the moment) so I really want to focus on that (I also have a part-time job). So my question, would it be a good idea to commit to another semester of volunteering? Are my leadership positions just as important?
I agree that nonclinical volunteering is more important than leadership. Leadership benefits your application, but isn't obligatory unless you plan to apply to the most selective med schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, non-clinical volunteering is more important than leadership. However, leadership is important.

I agree that nonclinical volunteering is more important than leadership. Leadership benefits your application, but isn't obligatory unless you plan to apply to the most selective med schools.

Thanks for your input! Good to know I shouldn't kill myself trying to continue these positions--they can be a significant time commitment. Another question...if I can't start non-clinical volunteering right now, would it be fine to wait until my senior year and/or my gap year to start volunteering again? (also I have a significant amount of clinical volunteering I've been doing since high school...it's just non-clinical that's lacking a bit). I'm just wondering if it's necessary to start getting more hours ASAP.

Thanks for your input! Good to know I shouldn't kill myself trying to continue these positions--they can be a significant time commitment. Another question...if I can't start non-clinical volunteering right now, would it be fine to wait until my senior year and/or my gap year to start volunteering again? (also I have a significant amount of clinical volunteering I've been doing since high school...it's just non-clinical that's lacking a bit). I'm just wondering if it's necessary to start getting more hours ASAP.
If you'd be applying after your senior year, then having that extra year of nonmedical volunteering completed and on the application at the time you apply would be fine.