Non-committee Letters of Rec.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nogpa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I was wondering if any of you have experience with letters of recommendation that are coming from two or three individuals rather than a committee. Are there any standard questions that the schools want answered? Someone in a previous thread mentioned that their committee letters had some sort of numeric evaluation as well(I imagine on things such as appearance, aptitude, maturity etc). Is this something I should mention to my recommenders? Or should I trust that a general letter is okay? Thanks for all of your help.
-BR

Members don't see this ad.

All I know about this is that many secondaries will ask you to state the reasons as to why you have not supplied a committee letter.

They ask even if I don't have a pre-med committee? At my UG, a lot of people think that when I say "medical school" I mean "Naturopathic Medical School"(crazy hippies :wink: ), so obviously the focus on more standard professional schools is lacking, hence, the lack of the pre-professional committee letter. Will that suffice as an explanation? Thanks

BR

Members don't see this ad :)
If your school doesn't have a premed committee you are fine. I heard that it only looks suspicious if your school has one and you don't use it.

My school does have a committee. I did not use them though. I think that those people are highly imcompetent (at my school). They have been known to write horrible letters and the advisors are really bad. I was told that schools frown on not using the committee. I thought that they would ask me, but none of the schools that I applied had any concerns. Be ready to answer why you would not use a committee though because I did get asked this question when applying to MSP. As far as what to write about, I told them to write a regular letter.

my school also did not have a committee. i had a packet of info that i sent to all my recommenders. this included my personal/vision statements from the AMCAS app as well my science/non-science GPAs from college and post-grad. i talked a lot about my ECs and clinical experiences in my personal statements, so my recommenders had a good idea of my clinical stuff as well as scholastic performance. a side note which might work well for some of you: at the last minute, one of my letter writers bailed out on me, so i had to find someone else. i did not have much confidence that this particular professor would really say anything personal about me, even though i had done well in her course. but i needed to ask her because i needed another letter from a science faculty. so anyway, since it was such short notice, i wrote a letter myself (about myself) and told her i was including it as a "sample of how i would like the letter to look" in order to save her time in writing it. really i just wanted her to use my letter because i made myself sound pretty good. she emailed me and told me she had just decided to use my letter since she agreed with everything in it. so i ended up with a really sweet letter of rec from a professor who didn't even know me that well...all because i wrote the letter myself and sucked it up enough to basically invite my professor to use it. that is what i learned from this whole application process: you've just gotta suck it up. so what if you haven't even spoken to that professor in three years or you don't even know if they will remember you. do you want to get in to med school? then you just do what you've gotta do. my advice: ASK EARLY because professors take sabattical during the summer and also go on vacation and stuff and sometimes are difficult to reach. i learned that the hard way. good luck!