" Non-competive atmosphere, in the 6 hours I was here the school touched me"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
WTF WTF. Does anyone have the real deal on some of these schools ie Northwestern, Yale, etc. First off, how is a medical school non-competive. These students spend their undergrad having to withhold such high standards and competing with all the other pre-meds and suddenly everyone just gets along like Bert and Ernie? If anything the competition is more stiff because of residency matching. And I don't think P/F makes it so much easier. Isn't there some secret ranking that you don't find out about till it comes time to apply to residency programs?

Also, everyone keeps saying a school just felt right to them. Can anyone explain how they got this feeling. I have been looking at school websites (which are bs anyway) to try and get a "feel" for a school. Truth is, your not gonna get a feel for a school unless your on campus for at least a few weeks. Now if this feel acounts for price, location, and curriculum then its somewhat founded. But if it comes from walking around campus for a couple hours and seeing a few students I say this 'feel' lacks any scientific basis at best. Its an analgous situation to meeting a hot girl for the first time. Sure her looks(aka reputation, US News ranking) entice you, and who knows the first few hours could be good clean fun. But after a week you find out the girl is whack, but you have already invested all the time and money.

IF anyone can clear up these two issues i would be much obliged.

Members don't see this ad.

dude....um....perhaps you need to have a cold beer and chill for a day.

Didn't you ever wander around college campuses to get the "feel"?
A little story....
My sophomore year in HS I fell in love with the U of Chicago big time. I eventually applied "early action" and was rejected...but then I was accepted during their regular admission phase. I was totally happy. I was also accepted to a small, lib arts college. I toured both and spent a lot of time wandering around, and despite having really loved the idea of going to U of C for years, the campus didn't feel like it would be a nice place to call home for 4 years. But this small lib arts school really did feel comfortable. It was just a feeling, but what else can one go by sometimes? Sure, I regret my decision some days, but for the most part I think I made the right choice. So when you start interviewing places, I'd highly recommend taking some time to wander around and see if you actually would enjoy yourself there. I'm betting if you start to get a couple of interviews you'll definitely find that you dislike some schools for whatever reason, perhaps even an irrational reason.

As for the non-competitive issue, I think Yale has a system where everybody takes a test anonymously. Each test, I think, is assigned to a random number instead of your name, so no one knows your grade. Maybe, this might be the reason why people are more relaxed and happy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by SnudgeMuffin
As for the non-competitive issue, I think Yale has a system where everybody takes a test anonymously. Each test, I think, is assigned to a random number instead of your name, so no one knows your grade. Maybe, this might be the reason why people are more relaxed and happy?

uhhh i don't see how that makes anyone less competitive

If you don't have a basis for a comparison, how can you be competitive, especially, when all you know is that you passed or failed, no number scores??;)

oh i didn't realize it was pass/fail. carry on

there defienetly can be a different in com petiveness. Even for undergrad, my brother went to UC Berkeley, I went to Washington UNiv. in St. Louis. It was very different. Yes, there is always competition. only 15 % of the class gets As.. but still, at WashU it was much less. classmates helped each other, etc.

So, a difference in competiveness, yes, certainly. can it be judged in 6 hrs.. i doubt.

I work at northwestern. hmm, the medical student i work with in lab likes it here, and talks about such reasons. hmm, wish i could elaborate more. but, just from walkin around the research hall at NW, i don't feel anything.

Sonya

Here's where the non-competitive atmosphere comes from...all of the people at the very top schools know that they will get into whatever speciality they would like. Thus, there is no reason to compete.

i found that after spending an interview day at a school, i could get a 'feeling'...
but most of the times, that feeling was positive.
only a couple times, i could tell that the school wasn't right for me.
it was just the atmosphere, the aura the students gave off, the physical location of the school, etc. it's not just one thing.

hahaha longhorn...u funny. u said u were applying to lotta the same schoolz i am. maybe we'll end up at same school.

I think some schools are non competitive because of the atmoshere. People are willing to let you borrow their notes and will help you out. Competive schools mean just that, people compete, and who ever wins the race, wins. People have alot of pressure to be at the top of the class and will do whatever it takes.
I personally like non-competive schools without grades. There is more emphasis on learning than getting a 100 on a test. People are more friendlsy and less cut throat somewhat.
As for the "feel" of the school. I agree with Alcadet, well all have this imagined school that we want to attend, but visiting make may u secong guess that school. It's not that hard, don't let admission take you around, just walk around for a day by yourself, see how friendly the people are, try the food in the cafe, look at thier activities board..and maybe sit in on a class or too. There is nothing worse than being stuck somewhere u will be unhappy for 4 years.

Happy Hunting:clap:

just a thought...

we live in the most successful nation in the world. Why?

Competition allowed by our form of limited government.

Competition is a good thing..it drives the standards higher, and overall allows for a higher production capacity.

So..let the games begin! To the winner goes the spoils...What are the most competitive schools? Just curious..Remember, the top residencies go to the person with the top numbers, research, AOA...

Although, I wouldn't mind being in a "non-competitive" school. I, and many others, however, would still be very competitive..

I think non-competitiveness comes from the fact that your classmates are not just your classmates but also your future colleagues. You want to cooperate with them so that you can collectively become the best doctors that you can be. Who knows, one of your classmates may be treating you in 20 years...

First, the competitive issue with yale and schools without grades...what they essentially have done is made closet competitive people, where they seem extremely relaxed and low stress, "oh yeah, I don't care what I get on this test", bull...after having a couple of friends who went there...they become closet cut-throats...also they are extremely stressed before part I of the boards (because this does essentially become their ranking) and from the resident's point of view they are just as friendly/nasty as any other 3-4 year students who want to get into the best residencies. You are correct, you can't expect someone who has been concerned for grades, position in class, and future to all of a sudden be well this doens't matter now does it?

Your second issue, you may not be able to say this is the one after a visit, but you can definitely say this is not the one! After that you look at what is important, did the people seem at least normal, research if you interested, rotation opportunities, research electives, location, location, location....

Your third issue, you need some serious psychological help....particularly with regards to women.