Non-criminal Municipal Ordinance Violation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GBfan5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently was charged with possession of a small amount of marijuana and a 1st offence OWI in Wisconsin for driving under the influence of Marijuana. I have discussed the situation with my lawyer and neither of these charges are criminal but rather municipal ordinance violations that are dealt with in city court. My court date is set for December 18th and by then I will have already been through the medical school application process so I was wondering what I need to disclose. I have done countless hours of research and have contacted Certiphi (AMCAS criminal background service) and I am struggling to find a definitive answer. I am positive that neither of my crimes are considered criminal in Wisconsin so I have a clean criminal record, but I am not sure if these charges will show up on a report. Also, do the open cases show up either way?
-Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll admit I'm mainly posting here as a bookmark, because I'm curious what will be expected of you. My gut says (with minimal reliability) that if these are not criminal offenses, you are not bound to report them. That may sound a little dodgy, like trying to get off on a technicality, but apparently Wisconsin likens your actions to moving violations, which med schools don't require updates on (I think?).

Anyway, wait to see what others say.

I'll admit I'm mainly posting here as a bookmark, because I'm curious what will be expected of you. My gut says (with minimal reliability) that if these are not criminal offenses, you are not bound to report them. That may sound a little dodgy, like trying to get off on a technicality, but apparently Wisconsin likens your actions to moving violations, which med schools don't require updates on (I think?).

Anyway, wait to see what others say.
See this thread - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=909565

Apparently this is a double post & the threads should be merged.