Non Dr. Patient searching for information re' how the brain works.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MRMPK

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I am not here seeking treatment.

Recently after a long battle with leukemia involving 200+ chemo treatments, 19 months on an experimental drug yada yada. I can't quite find my brain. It's sort of over to the left. :)

None of my doctors can answer my questions. They're all in the "We don't know" area.

So I would like perhaps links to peer reviewed research, perhaps a Youtube guide beginning with basics leading onward or something?

Please understand, I'm a muppet in this field. I can no longer read a book. So I must take this at a slow pace and work from there.

My reasons for joining this forum are twofold. I want the info', and having lived in hospital for so long, I developed a love for those in the medical profession. My highest respect. :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Much love. A patient. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking in the most general terms, "chemo brain" is a well established thing which should come as no surprise given how neurotoxic many of the most common chemotherapeutic agents are. Some people get a lot better, others don't. Most people weigh some cognitive side effects against the alternative permanent cessation of all cognition and feel they've chosen the better option.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your answer. I note I did not explain what I want. Typical. :)

I want to learn how the brain works. :)

See what I mean? :D

Members don't see this ad :)

If that's your goal then might I suggest applying to your local university to the neuroscience PhD program?

Not a neurologist, but that's an incredibly broad statement.

That's like saying "I want to learn sports". What about sports do you want to learn? Do you want to learn how to play sports? The rules of different sports? Who the different players and teams are? How to coach? How to advertise for sports? Why people find playing or watching them enjoyable? Or do you want to know about more specific aspects like who has the most running/passing yards in the NFL or why Lebron James is so dominant? There's just too much for anyone to reasonably cover in a simple conversation, and the same thing applies to the brain.

So what about the brain do you want to learn about? How messages are sent from neuron to neuron? How neurons even work? Do you want to know about neurotransmitters and receptors? Or are you looking for how the brain performs specific tasks. Like how does the brain create movement? Language? Sensation? Decision making?

If you provide a more specific topic, you might get better help and we may be able to give actual answers. If you're just looking for a general over leading to deeper understanding, you should find a college near you and take some classes because there's no way a few youtube videos or research papers are going to give you any meaningful answers.

Edit: As a starting place, you may want to check out Khan Academy's videos. Idk if they'll be too advanced or a good resource as I've never used them, but they cover a lot of topics and I'm sure they'll have videos ranging from introductory level to more advanced topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.