Hamiltonian

7+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
If you want to have a letter written by someone who is not faculty at your school (doctor, old boss etc.), does your letter writer send it to AMCAS? If so, do they need to include some info about you (SS#, AMCAS ID) so the letter can be matched up with your application?

ShinyDome19

Evil in the making...
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Evil Residency
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you want to have a letter written by someone who is not faculty at your school (doctor, old boss etc.), does your letter writer send it to AMCAS? If so, do they need to include some info about you (SS#, AMCAS ID) so the letter can be matched up with your application?
Depending on how your doing things, you can have them send the letter to your pre-med office which sometimes holds your letters of Rec and sends copies of them where ever you want. You can use a service like Interfolio, which holds the letters and sends copies where ever you want.. I am not sure if you can have a person submit it directly to AMCAS. But even if you can, I would suggest against doing this. Reason being, AMCAS doesnt save your letters for longer than the one application cycle. So, if you dont get in during that application cycle, you wont have a copy of the letter and your writer will have to re-submit the letter again next year.

I suggest using Interfolio or some other letter service, which should have easy to follow instructions on how to get them the letter, if you can. They will save a copy of the letter for as long as you need/pay and you can resubmit it when-/where-ever you need. Also, since these letter services send billions of LOR to AMCAS/AACOMAS every year, I would trust them much more in getting the letter to AMCAS correctly than I would the letter writer.

Last edited: