Non-Funding Ph.D. Clinical Psychology Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QTx120

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is looking like I will not be accepted into any of the funded programs I've applied to since I have not heard any request for personal interview. I have been requested for an interview with a non-funded program.

If I get accepted into the non-funded program, should I attend the program or wait a whole year to reapply? (The pro to attending this program is that it allows a good amount of credits from my MA program to transfer).

Members don't see this ad.

It is looking like I will not be accepted into any of the funded programs I've applied to since I have not heard any request for personal interview. I have been requested for an interview with a non-funded program.

If I get accepted into the non-funded program, should I attend the program or wait a whole year to reapply? (The pro to attending this program is that it allows a good amount of credits from my MA program to transfer).

See related threads on the risks of attending unfunded programs.

What program are you considering?

I'm not entirely sure if the phD program I was invited to interview at is funded or not. In the finance section student brochure they list tuition prices and student loan opportunities, which leads me to believe its non-funded...

...But then they mention fellowships and assistantships are available (but not how to apply or obtain them). Do those sorts of things usually cover most expenses? I guess its something to ask about at the interview but I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of others.

Members don't see this ad :)
...But then they mention fellowships and assistantships are available (but not how to apply or obtain them). Do those sorts of things usually cover most expenses? I guess its something to ask about at the interview but I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of others.

You definitely want to be clear about this at the interview. It sounds like there are opportunities for assistantships, but no tuition remission. My program operated this way and they totally glossed over this info at the interview. So while you may be able to live off of your stipend, you will probably still have to take out loans to cover the tuition. This model still beats unfunded, high tuition programs, but places most students in a position where coming out 100% debt-free is nearly impossible.

I would find a way to get in touch with students at the program if the funding situation is in doubt. I'm in a quasi-funded Ph.D. and after asking a few students directly I got good idea of what the picture was. As a current student, I don't think any of us would react negatively to direct inquiries in this area. In fact I think it shows good planning to want concrete details about funding :)