Non-HPSP Dental Corps BOLC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idrill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been looking online everywhere and haven't been able to find much information on this. I commissioned with the Army in early December 2015 as a direct accession into the dental corps (I got unlucky with the HPSP 4 years ago but that's another story). I've already been assigned a base and I graduate this June from dental school and was under the impression (for some reason) that I would attend BOLC with the HPSP students. All the HPSP students just received their orders to attend BOLC in early June. I didn't receive anything so I contacted by recruiter and he told me that my earliest BOLC date would be the end of June or even August. On top of that my BOLC would be 12 weeks rather then 6. All of that was new news to me. Please understand I am not the least bit upset, I am grateful to have the opportunity to serve my country but I would just like to understand what's up with the big differences in BOLC. It just seems weird to me that being all the same, the HPSP students are in a much shorter course. Our school didn't have time where we could finish BOLC in between semesters. I would just hate to be away from dentistry after I graduate for potentially 5-6 months due to waiting for and finishing BOLC. Thank you for any advice, I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've been looking online everywhere and haven't been able to find much information on this. I commissioned with the Army in early December 2015 as a direct accession into the dental corps (I got unlucky with the HPSP 4 years ago but that's another story). I've already been assigned a base and I graduate this June from dental school and was under the impression (for some reason) that I would attend BOLC with the HPSP students. All the HPSP students just received their orders to attend BOLC in early June. I didn't receive anything so I contacted by recruiter and he told me that my earliest BOLC date would be the end of June or even August. On top of that my BOLC would be 12 weeks rather then 6. All of that was new news to me. Please understand I am not the least bit upset, I am grateful to have the opportunity to serve my country but I would just like to understand what's up with the big differences in BOLC. It just seems weird to me that being all the same, the HPSP students are in a much shorter course. Our school didn't have time where we could finish BOLC in between semesters. I would just hate to be away from dentistry after I graduate for potentially 5-6 months due to waiting for and finishing BOLC. Thank you for any advice, I appreciate it.

FY16 AMEDD Officer Prep Course (BOLC A) dates are 29 June-14 July and 14-26 August. The AMEDD BOLC (non USUHS/HPSP) common core dates for this summer are 14 July-7 September and 28 August-21 October. The follow on Dental Courses are 7-21 September and 23 October-4 November. Follow up with your recruiter if you want the earlier date though it might already be full.

Be glad you are not entering next FY. It looks like their Officer Prep Course will be 4 weeks at Ft Sill not 2 weeks at Sam Houston.

Take a look at the ATRRS website. https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/search.aspx You may have to ignore/bypass the security warnings. Use keywords 'C20B' in the Course Number field for BOLC courses or 'Commission' in the Course Title field for the Direct Commission Course (DCC). Adjust the FY as necessary.

Hello,

There are a specific number of seats reserved each year for HPSP folks to attend BOLC. The other folks go during another time. Typically, the other time is also longer. You will most likely not be going to the HPSP BOLC.