non math/science requirements waived if BS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

topolm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, do most pharmacy schools waive the liberal arts requirements like econ, psych, public speaking, sociology etc if an applicant has a BS? I have a chemical engineering degree and have all the sciences but am missing 2nd semester english, no psych, and some other classes that are not science/math related. Should I write to all the schools and get their word in writing?

Members don't see this ad.

topolm said:
Hi, do most pharmacy schools waive the liberal arts requirements like econ, psych, public speaking, sociology etc if an applicant has a BS? I have a chemical engineering degree and have all the sciences but am missing 2nd semester english, no psych, and some other classes that are not science/math related. Should I write to all the schools and get their word in writing?

You could try contacting all the schools just to see what they would say; however, in my experience, schools will not waive any pre-reqs regardless if you have a degree or not. I have a BS and I'm taking public speaking and intro to economics this semester because 99% of the schools I applied to have these course requirements. These classes are sure to be a waste of time and money but unfortunately, ya do what ya gotta do....

Yea I agree. Everyone has to do their pre-reqs regardless of degree or not, whether BA or BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
topolm said:

UNC does, check out their website.

topolm said:
Yes, generally you will have to do all the pre-reqs they list. I am currently taking economics for that reason - it was required by every school I applied to. One of mine did tell me that they might waive the speech requirement if I could provide them with acceptable documentation that (I have a MS and significant work experience) I had done speeches on the job (hopefully, 70 presentations over 7 years will work for that). Another told me absolutely not, I would have to take speech.

UNC waives everything except the math and science courses, if you have a degree... but they seem to be the exception, not the rule. Most schools require all the prereqs done. Some schools will make exceptions for individual classes for individual students on a case-by-case basis. One school I applied to did indicate that it might be possible to waive a speech class... But this type of thing is something that should be specifically discussed with whichever school you are applying to... It can't be generalized across all schools. Getting it in writting is a good idea, but send each dean an email first with your concerns and see what they all say.