Non-medical related research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jae9970

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I do an engineering research that is completely unrelated to medicine, would it still count when I'm applying?

Would I be able to discuss about my experience with the admission committee?? :D

Members don't see this ad.

If I do an engineering research that is completely unrelated to medicine, would it still count when I'm applying?

Would I be able to discuss about my experience with the admission committee?? :D

Of course. Research in any field, is research. It doesn't need to be medically-related, although that would be a bonus.

oh for real?? i need to find a research this summer then. Would it count still if im' applying this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh for real?? i need to find a research this summer then. Would it count still if im' applying this year?

You mean for entrance in Fall 2008? Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt, but it'll probably only be of minimal benefit. Do it if it is easy to obtain and is fun for you. I agree that the amount of time spent doing any experience doesn't matter as much as your quality of experience. If you decide to do it, try to get the most out of your research work, and be able to describe what you learned as it applies to medicine in a meaningful way. My conjecture is that adcomms like to look at long-term commitment, so they would likely consider research done over years more favorable than short-term summer research. Again, if it interests you, there's nothing wrong with going ahead with your plans. It can only help.

Yes, of course it would. There are several engineering majors in my class, and my school is one of the few that requires every applicant to have done research. Biomedical engineering is a hot field. If you're into engineering, go for it.

I think it is hard enough to find any research to do, let alone medical research. Get whatever you can. As long as you can explain what you gained from the experience, the interviewers will be satisfied.

I think it is hard enough to find any research to do, let alone medical research. Get whatever you can. As long as you can explain what you gained from the experience, the interviewers will be satisfied.

^^ I agree!

yeah, it probably only matters if you want to apply as MSTP