Non medical research on residency application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted915325

Hey guys and gals,

Quick rundown: I did some research my junior year of undergrad investigating the efficacy of robotics in K-12 STEM education. My old PI just emailed me out of the blue and said they are publishing the study in a top STEM education journal and I am second author. Does anyone have any idea if this of any worth on a residency application? I have a couple other medical publications so this won't be my only pub. FWIW, I'm planning on applying to neurology or pediatric neurology.

It might also be beneficial for others to have a general discussion on the value of nonmedical research on ERAS if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys and gals,

Quick rundown: I did some research my junior year of undergrad investigating the efficacy of robotics in K-12 STEM education. My old PI just emailed me out of the blue and said they are publishing the study in a top STEM education journal and I am second author. Does anyone have any idea if this of any worth on a residency application? I have a couple other medical publications so this won't be my only pub. FWIW, I'm planning on applying to neurology or pediatric neurology.

It might also be beneficial for others to have a general discussion on the value of nonmedical research on ERAS if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance!
If you do put it on (which you should) be ready to answer any and all questions about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do put it on (which you should) be ready to answer any and all questions about it.

Yeah, I gave a platform presentation on it a couple years ago so I will be okay with that.

I suppose it would probably be more beneficial for a pediatric based career since it was k-12 and based in child psychology?

Seems interesting, though I would say that, at least in our program, we aren't particularly interested in pre-medical school activities unless they are particularly unusual or your involvement was substantial. That being said, I've reviewed many applications that include all kinds of things, medicine-related and not. As long as you're not sacrificing space on your application to mention something more relevant or potentially positive, I don't think there's any harm in including this kind of stuff.

Reactions: 1 user