Non medical school related things on a resume or application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dengun8171

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: Title should have read "Non medical/biology related things on a resume"...sorry! I'm a little tired..haha

I'm going to be applying to the next round of medical school admissions. I'm actually a Mathematics major. I chose it because I like solving problems, riddles, and puzzles. While Calculus I-III and Differential Equations aren't really my interests, I liked the Discrete Mathematics, Analysis, Logic classes.

That portion of my major is just for recreation though. I'm actually really big into computing. I've been doing it ever since I was 13 and that's my huge fun. While I took Biology I and II, Genetics, Gen Chem I and II, OChem I and II (to satisfy my medical school prereqs), and Physics I and II (medschool prereq/part of my natural math curriculum anyway)....my actual undergraduate life so far has been devoted to heavy computing.

Just curious, would I put software proficiency and programming languages on a resume? If I don't, it gets a little bland.

I know: C, C++, Objective C, FORTRAN '77, Haskell, Python, .ADA, Perl. I've worked on MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple as well.

Also, would medical schools care about research that isn't explicitly biological in nature?

Only "Biology" research I've done is: Monte Carlo sampling to simulate ion movement in a membrane, and data mining on proteomics on arbitrary bacterium species.

I've done chemistry and physics research in computational calibration of instrumentation, and my professors refer to me to a couple of engineering projects to write code for some of the faculty who are interested in using programs to make their research easier.

I want to be a doctor because I like solving problems and problems where it affects lives...honestly, academia/private industry just doesn't seem like my flavor so I don't know what could be a "backup". I've been keen on doing premed ever since the second semester of my freshman year.

I want to do it for the altruistic sense. I have no problems with computational biology research as an MD, but near my campus and the city I've grown up in, there are traditionally "poorer" areas, and I wanted to set up a clinic with more pro bono and community efforts.

So do I put these languages/software/computer science research projects that aren't strictly biological in nature?

Here are some stats btw: 32 MCAT, 3.76 GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is this 'resume' for? Applying to jobs?

Or are you talking about your application to medical school?

I see you thinking more like a "software guy". Sometimes "software guys" get stuck focusing on the various languages that are used to create something useful. That crap doesn't matter. If you can program in one language, you should be able to use any of them. Most of us in the industry make fun of people who are proud of a particular language. Programming is programming, it is the underlying theory/thought process that is more important.

That just reminded me of if carpenters were hired like programmers:D