SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

non-medical work experience as an EC?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kam730, Jun 30, 2002.

1. kam730

kam730 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 17, 2002
    I am just curious if non-medical work experiences (eg. restaurants) should be included as post-secondary experience. Have any of you included such experience?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. UCLA2000

UCLA2000 7+ Year Member

Dec 19, 2001
    the hospital
    Is it an ec or a job? If it's a job then list it under work experience... (it's on secondaries I dunno if it's on the primary)

4. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I worked at many jobs but I included only the ones that were related to medicine to show some of my personal qualities. Who cares that I was sorting mail for 6 months?

5. kam730

kam730 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 17, 2002
    I am just talking about regular jobs (waiting tables, cashier, etc.). I wondered if it might be beneficial to include them simply as further evidence of having developed good people skills. But, I dont know what adcoms are looking for really.

6. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 8, 2002
    If it did help you to communicate more effectively, I think that it is worth of mentioning it. I had a quite a bit of medicine related experience so I did not really have any space either in my personal statement or EC list for anything else.

7. Doctora Foxy

Doctora Foxy Meow 7+ Year Member

Jan 28, 2002
    I grade math papers as a job and I listed that...
    If you had a job, that took up a lot of your time, so I think you should list it for that reason. If you have gaps in time with no activity, they'll wonder, so you should probably just list it.