Non Medicare/Medicaid/"Insurance" Revenue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dantt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been many recent posts lamenting the state of our profession with continuing downward pressures on reimbursement from 3rd party payors (CMS and insurance companies particularly on cataract surgery) while the costs of doing business are increasing (more regulation, more expensive supplies/technologies, higher salary demands, inflation, etc).

I have always found it remarkable how resilient and entrepreneurial our specialty has been over the years. We're fortunate to be able to significantly improve the quality of our patients lives and have patients who value our expertise and service even when CMS does not necessarily do so with their fee schedules. I don't think what we're discussing here needs to be a secret. The more we normalize these types of activities, the better it will be for all of us. What are you guys doing to combat decreasing reimbursement and increased expenses? Are you offering new services that you previously/traditionally would not? Are you charging for things that you did not previously for? How useful/big of an impact are these measures? Has there been patient blowback? Does it feel ethical to you? I'll start.

Refractive surgery fees
1. Astigmatism and presbyopia correction concurrent with cataract surgery. Medicare currently pays around $540 per cataract surgery which has been continually decreasing over the past few decades. It is now at a point where many surgeons choose to not do or only do them as a loss leader for selling patients refractive services. CMS has ruled since 2005 that astigmatism and presbyopia correction are not covered by medicare and thus are billable to the patient. Fees charged can include surgeon/professional fees, lens costs, femtosecond lasers if used, intraoperative biometry, refractive guarantees, eyedrops, lipiflow/amniotic membrane/ocular surface treatments. Many doctors have expressed that they feel like "used-car salesmen" trying to sell these services. I personally provide some of these services and think many of them are worthwhile. It's remarkable to me how much patients are willing to pay for these services and unlike 3rd party payments, I've seen these prices continuing to increase. How much are these fees in your markets?

2. Eyedrops, lipiflow/amniotic membrane/ocular surface treatments. Some of these feel like "snake oil" to me. A lot of doctors are paid big money to promote these activities. I do not do these things on a routine basis.

3. Femtosecond laser/biometry and other out of pocket stuff. I can do great surgery without them but they are effective in many situations and can significantly increase revenue.

4. Comanagement fees. These are actually paid out to other doctors to take care of the patient pre/postop. Sometimes they can include "refractive comanagement" where the other doctor gets paid above and beyond what they can bill medicare/insurance. These can feel dirty to me but in the big cities, you sometimes have to pay to play (if you want these patients which can be lucrative). Ironically, one of my colleagues referred their patient out to do a complex LASIK treatment and he unexpectedly got a comanagement check in the mail to take care of the postop. Sweet.

Afterhours work
1. Hospital call. Traditionally nobody got paid to take call at the local hospital and you would build your practice this way. I've participated in some locales where the doctors that took call got paid a substantial amount of money and other locales where they were payed zip. This sometimes depends on local regulations. Some hospitals require you to take call if you want to use their ORs. Some insurance companies require you to have hospital privileges and the hospitals can subsequently require you to take call even if you don't operate there. I've heard as high at 14,000 per week. The hospitals where I practice don't pay and so I currently do not take call. It would take something in the neighborhood of what was described above for me to even consider it.

2. Practice call. We currently have physicians on call for our practice. Every practice I've ever worked at takes patients phone calls after hours for emergencies (many of them are not emergencies). Why do we still do it (for free)? I know tons of direct primary care / concierge practices that charge their patients an annual fee for priority scheduling, possible weekend visits, being able to text/call their docs after hours. Thoughts about charging a concierge fee to allow after hours calls/exams??
3. Patient calls. Patients will sometimes call during office hours. Not all questions require an in person exam. Thoughts about turning all patient medical calls to telehealth/telephone exams?? Lawyers charge by the hour. There's a mechanism for us, why can't/don't we?

Random fees
1. Refraction. Medical insurance generally does not pay for refractions. Vision insurance will sometimes pay for refractions. Vision insurance pays like $25 for an exam? We don't take vision insurance, we never will. May medicare never "cover" refractions.

2. Fundus photos. I know tons of optometrists who recommend fundus photos for all their patients as a cash pay service. I was "taught" the practice to be distasteful and unethical in lieu of a dilated exam. Everybody in their hearts of hearts knows a wide field photo is just as good if not better than a dilated exam in routine cases for most doctors. Why are we leaving money on the table?

3. No show fees. Medicare allows you to charge no show fees. We nor any of the practices I've ever been in have charged it. It would significantly reduce the no show rate and improve the efficiency of our clinic. You can't charge no show fees to medicaid patients. Probably better to give those patients a 3 strikes rule.

I'm sure some of the old timers will see these ideas and shake their heads in disgust. These are the same guys who sold our profession to PE.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This post is so sad. What a sad state our profession is in. Depressing that this is what it’s come to.

This post is so sad. What a sad state our profession is in. Depressing that this is what it’s come to.

Some of these things I think add value to patients. Others I think not so much. Do you do free refractions for Medicare patients (may not even be legal as it could be seen as an "inducement")? Do you do astigmatism correction for free? Would you like to take call for no compensation for our local hospitals that are raking it in? My barber charges a no show fee. Why can't I? Would it be better under single payor? I agree it is sad. I wouldn't have picked another specialty but would I encourage my kids to go into medicine in the state it's in? Ehhh

Members don't see this ad :)
As a retina guy I can't comment on some of these premium services offered at a general, cornea, glaucoma etc docs offices. What I can say is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with offering a premium service to patients that benefit them without causing undue harm. I don't think there is any kind of moral or ethical dilemma there. To your other points:
1. I don't take hospital call but if I did I would expect to get paid for it.
2. taking call for the practice (after hours or during regular business hours) in my opinion is part of running a practice. If a patient is established and has been a loyal patient for some time, they have earned the right to call for true eye emergencies. I would not want to create a system where we add barriers to patients calling and end up missing a true emergency trying to squeeze a few extra bucks here or there. Penny wise, pound foolish.
3. Other fees: similar to point 1, there is nothing unethical about taking a fundus photo for documentation purposes. I do it all the time. And/or OCT, or B scan etc. If you can document medical necessity for the test then get paid for it. I agree, don't leave money on the table if you can justify the cost.
The business aspect of medicine is quite taboo in our field. We are supposed to not care about that stuff and only care about doing the right thing for the patient. Problem is we need to do both, and I don't feel that they are mutually exclusive. In fact, done correctly both can be done exceedingly well.

The business aspect of medicine is quite taboo in our field. We are supposed to not care about that stuff and only care about doing the right thing for the patient. Problem is we need to do both, and I don't feel that they are mutually exclusive. In fact, done correctly both can be done exceedingly well.

I totally agree. What better place to discuss this than a mostly anonymous forum on the internet. No point discussing being paid for call with an old holier than thou doctor who made 2000 per cataract and eventually sold their practice to PE or an academic doc who has no idea how it all works. More comments please :)

Reactions: 1 users
One thing not mentioned is the practice model. These are two typical practice models:
1) Medical only. No optical shop, no contact lens dispensing. These practices typically get the bulk of O.D. referrals for cataracts since the O.D’s always get their patients back for glasses and routine care after the cataract surgery. They have the highest surgical volume. But they often lose 20% of the cataract fee to comanagement with the referring O.D, and make no money on the optical side
2) “Full service” practice, medical/surgical plus an optician, optical service, contact lens and glasses. One stop practice. This type of practice makes revenue with the optical portion but gets a lot less referrals from the O.D’s in the community, who fear losing their patient forever to such a practice.

There are pluses and minuses to each type above, and the calculus is always changing.

In regards to P.E., many of these purchased practices are deteriorating from within. (Those who took the big buyouts will be gone a few years later, and the non-owners are quitting). It leaves a wide open market for the next generation, in 5-10 years at most.

Last edited:

Why is it sad? Lawyers do not work for free. Every 15 minute phone call is logged and billed. We would be foolish to work for free.

I've been surprised over the years how many of my clients don't own their own real estate. I know it doesn't make sense in some markets but owner-occupied real estate is a great way to build wealth. You can pay yourself above-market rent in a tax-advantaged investment vehicle.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been surprised over the years how many of my clients don't own their own real estate. I know it doesn't make sense in some markets but owner-occupied real estate is a great way to build wealth. You can pay yourself above-market rent in a tax-advantaged investment vehicle.
Real estate seems like an expensive purchase especially if the practice is also expensive to purchase.

Would you purchase real estate or ASC before buying into the practice?

Yes I agree real estate is great. Along the lines of above market rent, make sure if you're buying into a practice you're not paying above market rent to other docs. Not cool.

Real estate seems like an expensive purchase especially if the practice is also expensive to purchase.

Would you purchase real estate or ASC before buying into the practice?
It is, but among a group of partners it can make it more reasonable.

In almost all cases, ASC returns will be the highest but there are plenty of risks with those as well.
Yes I agree real estate is great. Along the lines of above market rent, make sure if you're buying into a practice you're not paying above market rent to other docs. Not cool.
Yes, the issue with the above-market rent is adding an associate who will buy in will find this. Agreed not cool to make them pay that.