non-new yorkers living in new york?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morecowbell

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm just trying to get some opinions from some non-new yorkers that have gone to college/med school in new york - how long did it take you to adjust, and do you have any regrets? it seems to me like everyone dying to go to med school in NY are from NYC. i've interviewed at a few schools in new york, and it's tough to tell from the few days in NYC if i'd ever adjust. seems like a risk (i'd either love it or hate it). any thoughts? thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

In which city did you grow up in? I think that'll be important if someone were to answer your Q

Average time for a non-NYer to become a NYer is 6 months to a year in my experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I lived in Miami until I moved to NY for college and so far I have on regrets. There is tons to do, great transportation, and you get used to the cold if you've never experienced it before. I liked it so much I'm staying for med school :)

MCB,
I'll go against the previous sentiment here. I'm from the area originally (New Jersey), went out to undergrad in California, then back to New York for the past 4 years... I know quite a few alum that came out from California to NY -- many love it and stay... many hate it. There's really no pattern that I've seen - the only thing being pace. It's a frenetic pace out here... people running around like their heads are cut off, but honestly, that's probably true in the med school setting anywhere in the country ;).

Me personally, I love it. It's easy to get around, there's always something to do, bars close at 4am :), most importantly, it's an extraordinarily diverse place, in many senses of the word. Great museums, great culture, great people... it's really how you immerse yourself in it. Hope that helps.

seems to me that people dying to go to school in NY are NOT from NY.... who is taking up all the spots at the SUNYs!?!?!

yes i am bitter.

some people just hate the idea of NY even before they have seen it, and those are the people who usually end up hating it once they do come.
keep an open mind, no matter what you think its going to be like, its going to be different. and have patience.. nothing like sitting in a hot dark subway tunnel for an hour! or traffic for that matter...

i love NY!