Non nursing degree holder and not sure to pursue an ADN, BSN, or MSN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XWing5000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a BS in Computer Information Systems, 2.9 cGPA. I only need 3 more classes to complete the science prereqs. I have a 4.0 for my prereq classes at the moment. I know I will need to get to at least a 3.0 cGPA, should not be an issue with the 3 classes I need to complete.

local community college ADN program will cost about $6,000 but its a 2-year program. There is an accelerated program in my town too that takes 15 months. There are a couple level entry MSN programs near me but they are quite expensive.

I would like to go for a psychiatric NP by the way. I worked as a behavioral therapist for 2 1/2 years doing in-home therapy with kids that have mental disabilities, predominantly autism and TBI. So I do have some experience in mental health (if it counts for anything)

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know if you have a question you are getting at, but it sounds like you have some options. It might be helpful to keep in mind that those programs, especially the community college and accelerated BSN programs, will likely be competitive. An ADN program that cheap is going to be the first choice for a lot of folks. Much will depend on how your prerequisite grades factor into their selection process, but it’s encouraging that your prerequisites have strong grades attatched. I personally think that the best bang for your buck is the 15 month BSN, because you'll need the BSN to get into NP school anyway. Just make sure it doesn’t cost like $60k if you can help it. And as far as the MSN programs, my guess is that they will be expensive, and not offer you much more than what you can get out of getting the BSN and then pursuing NP school from there.... so basically I see them as overkill. I got a really cheap ADN, and then got a cheap BSN. What I sacrificed there was time. But I had other things going for me that really made that a better route for me financially and for my personal life. Psyche NP school came next.

I’d you want my opinion, if I were in your shoes, ida do the accelerated BSN, then immediately try to get into NP school. You’ll be busy for roughly the next 3 years at least, but it’s a good plan.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t know if you have a question you are getting at, but it sounds like you have some options. It might be helpful to keep in mind that those programs, especially the community college and accelerated BSN programs, will likely be competitive. An ADN program that cheap is going to be the first choice for a lot of folks. Much will depend on how your prerequisite grades factor into their selection process, but it’s encouraging that your prerequisites have strong grades attatched. I personally think that the best bang for your buck is the 15 month BSN, because you'll need the BSN to get into NP school anyway. Just make sure it doesn’t cost like $60k if you can help it. And as far as the MSN programs, my guess is that they will be expensive, and not offer you much more than what you can get out of getting the BSN and then pursuing NP school from there.... so basically I see them as overkill. I got a really cheap ADN, and then got a cheap BSN. What I sacrificed there was time. But I had other things going for me that really made that a better route for me financially and for my personal life. Psyche NP school came next.

I’d you want my opinion, if I were in your shoes, ida do the accelerated BSN, then immediately try to get into NP school. You’ll be busy for roughly the next 3 years at least, but it’s a good plan.

Ditto.

I too got a cheap ADN and then a cheap BSN. Since you already have a BS, go for the accelerated program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Does one get an NP degree than go for a post-psych program or is the psych program built into the np program? How do you like working as a psych np?

I just wasn't sure which route would be best, but both of you answered my question - thank you.

Depends. Let me splain’....

You could get a psyche Np degree. Or you could get a family nurse practitioner degree, and later go back and get a psyche NP certificate. That’s extra time and money. But I think what you are aiming for is doing a psyche NP program after your BSN.

Reactions: 1 user
You might also consider going the BCBA route if you want to keep working with ASD and TBI type patients. Good salary and lifestyle.

Def. suggest doing a BS to NP program if anything offers it (doubt it but most desired) > BSN > AAS > MSN..?
You must get that BSN or an AAS assuming you will be working/getting a BSN at the same time. MSN programs as others before me have stated, other than NP programs offer nothing that the BSN or experience can give. So get that BSN through whatever means and then get your NP for the best lifestyle/salary.