Non-ortho to ortho as MS3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eggsettera

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My story: I was/am interested in a certain field of medicine since I began medical school. I really worked hard at getting to know faculty in the department, setting up research in the field and basically trying to build up my application to that field. Now, I am over halfway done with my third year and I am thinking that I might be more into orthopedics. does anyone have experience with a similar situation?

When/if I apply to ortho should I use my research from the other field on the app?

Should I use my letter of recommendation from the faculty member i was in research with?

Should I try to scrape some quick ortho clinical research together before the application process?

Any advice and/or troubles someone else has previously experienced in a similar situation would be very helpful. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone have experience with a similar situation?
Yes, I was almost certain on Path (founded a Pathology Interest group, had lots of faculty willing to write me letters, etc) then I had my medicine clerkship and LOVED it. Needless to say, I felt awkward with the pathology department after my change of heart, but they totally understood. When you are a 3rd year the goal is to find something you LOVE. If ortho has swept you off your feet, go for it.

When/if I apply to ortho should I use my research from the other field on the app?
Yes, research is research. It teaches you how to think critically. I did my PhD in a certain field and I don't want anything to do with it now. Does it discount my papers and years of hard work? No way. Did it make my residency application more competitive? I think so.

I can't give any further insight about your other questions. I do know that stats are pretty important for ortho. Good luck:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about the research, spend your time getting your away rotations set up. In ortho those are extremely important towards your match success.

Don't worry about the research, spend your time getting your away rotations set up. In ortho those are extremely important towards your match success.

Are they more important in terms of auditioning or getting a glowing LOR from a well-know faculty member??