non-primary care DO's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CM

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

If you are an osteopathic student and you know that you don't want to go into a primary care field, why then are you at an osteopathic medical school? From my knowledge of osteopathic medicine(which admittedly may be ignorant) one of the core principles of osteopathy is OMT. If you plan to be a psychiatrist, anesthesiologist, etc, then you aren't really in a position to practice OMT in those fields. Is there something else in the philosophy of osteopathy that would make you a better psychiatrist? ....or are the differences between an osteopath and allopath going to be seen only in primary care fields? I'm curous as to others views on this.

Members don't see this ad.

The second aspect to osteopathic med is the holistic philosophy. That makes a DO psych or surgeon different than an allopathic when it comes to approaching diagnosis and treatment.

according to what we're taught there is a difference between an "osteopath" and an "osteopathic physician".

an osteopath is the old school terminology and international term for an physician who uses OMT in diagnosis and treatment.

an osteopathic physician is a complete physician who practices the osteopathic philosophy (the four tenets of osteopathy) towards medicine no matter what specialty he/she is in.

what do the other students think?

Members don't see this ad :)
wrong post,...sorry

[This message has been edited by jlep2003 (edited 05-11-2000).]

Check out psychiatric orgone therapy, developed by Wilhelm Reich. While some think he's "fringe," this therapy is a great use of OMT. Check out www.orgonomicscience.org or <A HREF="http://www.acoreich.org" TARGET=_blank> www.acoreich.org. </A>.

[This message has been edited by Qi Whiz (edited 05-13-2000).]

Originally posted by CM:

If you are an osteopathic student and you know that you don't want to go into a primary care field, why then are you at an osteopathic medical school?

To be a doctor.

Oh, and how can anyone know what area of medicine they want to go into before medical school, without clinical experience. And don't say "because I've volunteered/worked in a hospital." I did all that stuff too, but I still have no real idea what different fields are truly like. That's why I'm going to med school- to learn.?

[This message has been edited by unsure (edited 05-11-2000).]