non-productive gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChiapetBrownie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of this application cycle. Still waiting for verification, still waiting for my MCAT score. I graduated from college this year, even though it wasn't my intention to finish in the spring. My sudden change in student status has left me searching for a job (research/clinical) which has been relatively unsuccessful. So I've only really been volunteering at a soup kitchen and hospital, and it seems it will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

I'm concerned that while interviewing for schools, if asked about what I've been up to, they'll see those activities as insufficient for the amount of free time I had on my hands. Maybe I should just go for something in retail, since they actually seems to be hiring? Or tack on another volunteer position?

I didn't see anything specific like this in previous posts.

Members don't see this ad.

See if you can start shadowing different specialties at the hospital you volunteer at. Just start asking around about opportunities there, or if you have a med school nearby just start emailing doctors and researchers about volunteering with them. If no one gets back to you just print out your résumé and GO.

I'm in the middle of this application cycle. Still waiting for verification, still waiting for my MCAT score. I graduated from college this year, even though it wasn't my intention to finish in the spring. My sudden change in student status has left me searching for a job (research/clinical) which has been relatively unsuccessful. So I've only really been volunteering at a soup kitchen and hospital, and it seems it will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

I'm concerned that while interviewing for schools, if asked about what I've been up to, they'll see those activities as insufficient for the amount of free time I had on my hands. Maybe I should just go for something in retail, since they actually seems to be hiring? Or tack on another volunteer position?

I didn't see anything specific like this in previous posts.
I too have recently graduated and is on my gap year.

I think as long as you're being relevantly proactive with regards to your short term (e.g. clinical shadowing, scribe, volunteer, research, and/or etc.) and long term (medical school, medicine, and etc.) goals, especially if your finalized UG academic credentials are great, then you shouldn't worry. I have several pre-med friends that are currently in your shoes; most of which are either seeking for employment or employed. Applying and interviewing can be expensive for sure. I think you should probably be worried if you currently look more like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similiar spot. In the middle of no where, no job, a useless degree and very little for healthcare or job opportunities in the area.

Yea, I'm a little lucky since I'm in nyc so there are hospitals around. But I'm competing with master's students for the same research assistants jobs. I figured, I could throw in some stuff about blogging about healthy cooking. :shrug:

Are there any Americorps programs in your area? Many of them start in early fall, so you might be able to get into one in time.