Non Profit Organization as EC Questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Verum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whenever i see someone with "Starting A Non Profit Organization" it puzzles me what they meant. Do they mean a 501(c)(3) non profit organization that went through the application process (tax exempt etc) or just a random college club with a mission?

I am thinking of starting one that fits my interests and am reading up on the laws and regulations that governs such activities. I doubt i will be asking for donations or anything like that but i don't want to get caught up in some IRS audit.

Where can i get more information on starting a non profit? Those that went through the 501(c)(3) process, any tips and tricks you can share?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. Google is your friend.

2. The nonprofits that are federally recognized (501 jazz) and are started by "young individuals", typically really come from rich/connected parents (legal/filing fees, etc).

3. It is a pain in the ass even if one's rich parents do all the footwork... just leave it as a mere "organization" and call it a day.

PS: It isn't a unique EC anymore. Maybe a decade ago, before the sea of premeds consumed most concepts.

I have a pretty good idea for a successful NonProfit. Will it hold more weight if it's 503 or just listed as an organization though?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a pretty good idea for a successful NonProfit. Will it hold more weight if it's 503 or just listed as an organization though?

Look at it in this fashion: either way, it isn't gonna make or break your app.

Most of them are just non-profits in name only as well. A lot of kids just fill out the paperwork and sit on the non-profit to up their application.