Non-retail job opportunities without residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yavster5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Realistically speaking, if one decides not to pursue a residency after pharmacy school, what job options other than retail exist?

Members don't see this ad.

u can do retail, mail order, LTC, and maybe a couple more

but if you want hospital job, admin jobs, etc. residency is a big help

Mail order and LTC are different setting but I would still consider them under the retail umbrella. Unless the LTC position is primarily consulting. These positions can be tough to come by in some areas due to low turnover of pharmacists, people tend to stay put, especially in this economy.

Military is an option for some folks and possibly Public Health Service. Nuclear is an option if your school has a nuclear track where you can fulfill hour requirements in school or if you can get a nuclear internship while in school.

So far in my class seems like everyone who is not pursuing residency is going into retail with one person going Mail Order that I know of. It doesn't mean the jobs are not out there though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a hospital staffing job without any hospital internship or residency.

The further from metropolis the hospital is, the "easier" it is to get a job there.