Non-Science classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uniza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Science GPA: 3.30
NonScience: 2.87
Cumulative: 3.06
I will be taking mcat in march.
Applying in June

Question: Would it be a good idea for me to take some non-science classes this summer to boost my non-science gpa..(which will also increase my cumulative gpa)?I was planning to continue my research work, which will help me get published. Not sure if I should focus on the nonscience-cumulative GPA instead.

Any advices would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Applying in June

Question: Would it be a good idea for me to take some non-science classes this summer to boost my non-science gpa..(which will also increase my cumulative gpa)?I was planning to continue my research work, which will help me get published. Not sure if I should focus on the nonscience-cumulative GPA instead.

Nobody cares about your non-science GPA. The only two that matter are cGPA and sGPA. In other words, take science classes to raise both.

Are those calculations based on the AACOMAS calculations? I mean, have you retaken any classes?

If not, and if you have time, you could retake a couple classes that you earned C or lower. Otherwise, I agree with medpr that non-science do not matter, except for the fact that they bring down overall gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would help you because frankly, you're competing in a highly competetive pool, and you need to put the best possible packet forward.

Imagine you're an Adcom director and you see someone with your grades, vs someone with a 3.4/3.5?

Your cumulative is at the low end of competitive, and at our school, you probably not even get an interview. If you did, you'd probably get wait listed.

Applying in June

Last edited:
I think it would help you because frankly, you're competing ina highly competetive pool, and you need to put the best possible packet forward.

Imagine you're an Adcom director and you see someone with your ggrades, vs someone with a 3.4/3.5?

Your cumulative is at the low end of competitive, nd at our school, you probably not even get an interview. If you did, you'd probably get wait listed.

You guys look at the non-science GPA separately from cumulative?

Is cGPA more important than science gpa?I am taking 14 hours this semester, and if I can get all As, science will be 3.42 and cumulative 3.22.
These are based on the aamcomas gpa calculator. I retook Physics1 (D to B)and Organic1 (F to B) and planning on repeating the last 3 Cs in my transcript in summer (Gen Chem1, Gen Chem2 and Physics2). I have been taking upper level science classes in my postbac- Biochem, Physical Chem and have been making As throughout.
Also based on the aamcomas gpa calculator,if I repeat gen chem1, 2 and physics my science gpa rises to a 3.51, but if I take new science classes that I have not taken before..my sgpa is then 3.53 (provided I make all As)

Is cGPA more important than science gpa?I am taking 14 hours this semester, and if I can get all As, science will be 3.42 and cumulative 3.22.
These are based on the aamcomas gpa calculator. I retook Physics1 (D to B)and Organic1 (F to B) and planning on repeating the last 3 Cs in my transcript in summer (Gen Chem1, Gen Chem2 and Physics2). I have been taking upper level science classes in my postbac- Biochem, Physical Chem and have been making As throughout.
Also based on the aamcomas gpa calculator,if I repeat gen chem1, 2 and physics my science gpa rises to a 3.51, but if I take new science classes that I have not taken before..my sgpa is then 3.53 (provided I make all As)

Sounds like you will be fine if you take the classes you already plan on taking and get As.

Something that specatacularly low, yes. It catches your eye, like a black spot on a white canvas.

Interesting. I didn't think adcoms had the time to calculate GPAs and just relied on the AACOMAS cGPA/sGPA.

Interesting. I didn't think adcoms had the time to calculate GPAs and just relied on the AACOMAS cGPA/sGPA.

The AACOMAS actually has all three laid out side by side. They don't have to calculate anything. Go into you AACOMAS application and then click the date next to one of the schools you applied to and you can see the format of the application, the way the schools will see it.

The AACOMAS actually has all three laid out side by side. They don't have to calculate anything. Go into you AACOMAS application and then click the date next to one of the schools you applied to and you can see the format of the application, the way the schools will see it.

Oh I didn't know that. I withdrew my AACOMAS a while ago so I don't think I can look in it anymore.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Oh I didn't know that. I withdrew my AACOMAS a while ago so I don't think I can look in it anymore.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Yeah, I'm not sure if you can see it or not once you withdraw. Of course, you don't have to worry about your undergraduate GPA ever again, now that you are accepted. :)

Yeah, I'm not sure if you can see it or not once you withdraw. Of course, you don't have to worry about your undergraduate GPA ever again, now that you are accepted. :)

That's basically the best part of my life right now :)

Applying in June

My GPAs are somewhat similar (3.15 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA). And for some strange reason, I would prefer it to be the other way around (ie...3.35 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA), but most people in SDN have said that ADCOMs would look at it more favorablely with the sGPA>cGPA... Would you care to comment on that Goro?