Non-Science GPA vs. Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsasi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a freshman at Wash U, definitely on the pre-med track. I am currently getting annihilated in my gen. chem class. However, in my 4 other classes i expect nothing lower than an A-. I know that med schools separate science gpa from the cumulative, in evalutating individuals. I was just wondering if it makes that much of a difference between high cum gpa vs. low science gpa. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if it makes that much of a difference between high cum gpa vs. low science gpa. Thanks.

yes, there is a difference.

don't decide on medicine as a college freshman. there are many better paths to take.

Originally posted by doc05
I was just wondering if it makes that much of a difference between high cum gpa vs. low science gpa. Thanks.

yes, there is a difference.

don't decide on medicine as a college freshman. there are many better paths to take.

ditto to what doc05 says

your GPA in the premed req courses/science GPA is almost without exception more important than non-science GPA (unless the latter just really sucks, then they could both be problematic)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that your OVERALL GPA (non-science GPA and science GPA from required premed classes) carry the most weight in application process.

Many medical schools have specific formula and rank applicants based on GPA and MCAT scores.

As a premed student, see if you can get at least an A- or B+ in that G CHEM class. If not, I would just drop the class and spend the rest of the semester preparing to take the class next semester. A ?w? is much better than a C or worse.

Freshman year in college is the most difficult year.... good luck and don't worry about the MCAT until your sophomore year.... Keep up your grades... it carry just as much weight as MCAT scores...

Hehehehe. Welcome to Wustl.

Don't get scared. A lot of people find the first year to be rigorous. I remember the first year i worked my butt off to make a 3.6 in science. It went up from there.

I think that it has to do with adjusting to the high demands of washu.

I was told that about 95% of WashU students with a GPA of 3.5 and above made it into a med school (not sure if it was their first choice or not).

Just try to do your best and soon enough you will adjust.

Good luck.