non-science graduate needing advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecowmooz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 22 and graduated with a bachelor's degree in business a year ago and now I am wanting to go back to school and pursue a degree in Pharmacy. I haven't taken many science classes since high school. I am not sure how reachable this goal is.

Has anybody been through this same situation? If so can you please give me some suggestions on what to do or where to start?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't start going back to school until after spending six and a half years in the military. So, you can do it and get accepted because I am going into my second year of pharmacy school in the fall. Treat the science classes just like any other class. Study your butt off to make the best grade possible because those first classes are the base that you are going to build on. You need a very stable base or else the rest of the courses you take will be more difficult. It depends on your work schedule, but I would start out with general chem and bio 1 for sciences. Just make sure they are acceptable classes for the schools you want to apply to before hand so you don't waste time and money. If you got a business degree, you probably took calculus for business which I don't think will cover the full calculus every school requires. Look into schools and find three to five you really want to go to and start talking with their admissions office and download their pre-req lists.

You can research my threads if you want. I was in your exact position two years ago. Ill be applying to school this Fall.

Research the schools you want to get into and see what they need. Its most certainly doable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend starting off with a general chemistry class at a community college and see how you like it. Since you haven't taken a science class for such a long time, it might be a little tough, but it is defintely managable. Just don't try to rush getting all the pre-reqs done at the expense of good grades. Also, try and get some pharmacy experience as a volunteer and see what the profession is all about. Like everyone else is saying, try to look up several schools that you might be interested so you don't put all your eggs in only one basket. Hope this helps

Pharmacy schools like nontraditional students and people with non-science degrees. Do well on you prereqs (and PCAT if needed), but it is also highly recommended to get pharmacy experience to make sure that is the field you want to go into. It'll also look good on applications.

You are not too old and many students are in your position. Just have clear cut goals and you can do great. Good luck!

There is nothing to fear about applying to pharmacy school with a non-science degree except for making it through all the pre-req classes. I have a B.A. in Music from 2000. The only science course I took the first time around was a bulls**t physics course in acoustics. I started my pre-reqs two years ago and just finished them this past spring. I was accepted to four out of the five schools I applied to. The good thing about having a non-traditional degree, or any degree for that matter is that you don't have to re-waste your time with any gen-eds or electives that the schools require. Two straight years of nothing but science before applying to pharmacy school will also give you an idea if you really want to make the transition to a science field.

Good luck!

my degree was in business...it can be done

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice. I feel a lot better about my chances of making it into the Pharmacy program.

I think I might take a community college science class fall and spring semester to test the waters while I work to save up some money first. If I am still as motivated like I am now, I think I will finish my pre-reqs at U of A.

Thanks again for the encouragement. If anyone has anymore suggestions I would love to hear it.

^-^

Interior Design, here.

No problem getting in to my 2 schools I applied to. They really like people with non-science majors.

Near-quote from my interviewer at a Top 3 school....,"If I have to interview one more chemistry major.....," and, "We like people here who can think outside the box."

My other interviewer seemed to imply the same, without actually saying it!

reachable this goal is.
can you please give me some suggestions on what to do or where to start?

if it has been more than 3 years since high school science courses, you need to seriously do some reviewing before you begin college science courses. from now until school starts....you can get by in college without any prior knowledge, but you want to kill every class. your goals are very realistic. since you are in intro sci. courses, you already know what to expect (having completed a business degree) whereas some the other students haven't caught up to the college pace and aren't sure how to study. you can do it..

I am 22 and graduated with a bachelor's degree in business a year ago and now I am wanting to go back to school and pursue a degree in Pharmacy. I haven't taken many science classes since high school. I am not sure how reachable this goal is.

Has anybody been through this same situation? If so can you please give me some suggestions on what to do or where to start?

Non science majors are no problem. Just work hard on your prereqs and pcat. I basically had to take all my prereqs 2 years after I graduated since during my undergrad I didn't really take much science classes. I spent time as a chef so imagine going from the kitchen to o chem class. What is going to matter most is your prereqs and pcat so don't stress about your major.

I agree with the other posters. I actually think having experience in other fields is beneficial to your getting into pharmacy school. I have been a high school math teacher for 8 years. I received my Bachelors Degree in 2000... and I began my Masters Degree work in 2003 for School Counseling. As I was working on that degree, I begin taking the prerequisite coursework for pharmacy as well. Having experience in counseling and teaching leads me to so many life career possibilities! In the long-run, I hope to still use everything I have learned to this point in pharmacy. I want to emphasize in pediatric pharmacy with an specialization in oncology. In addition, someday, I would like to be a teacher in a school of pharmacy as well .... at least part time. So, believe me, my past experiences have helped shape the person I am today, and hopefully the person I will become as a pharmacist in the future. The positive in all of this.... if for some reason pharmacy doesn't work out.... I still have two careers that I can do. So, go for it! You will regret not doing so later if you really want this!

Best of luck!

Shawn (futurerxguy)
Pharm D. Candidate
NEOUCOP Class of 2012

schools don't take many non-science degree holders not because they are inferior but only because that jsut reflects the applicant pool.

my advice is start off with general courses from a community college then move your way up.

I say you just dive right into it, if it is something you really want. I graduated with a business degree (with my hardest science course being atmospheric science) a couple of years ago before deciding that pharmacy was what I wanted to do. I am taking full loads of only science courses and it is very manageable as long as you are focused and can manage your time well.

I went back to school after a 10 year haitus, so it is doable, it just depends on the timeframe you set for yourself. I wanted to get into pharm. school as fast as I can, but at the same time managing a high gpa. Other people, want to do it in 3 years, etc...

My advice is to plan out the classes you have to take (so you don't waste your time and money), in the order you have to take (so you fullfill what requirements are for what class), and make sure you give yourself some leeway or some room in your schedule for some downtime for family, fun, social events, dropped classes, etc (so you don't burn out).

I did a spreadsheet thing through excel, and I ended up finishing my pre-req within 1 and 1/2 years. Plan it correctly and its one less thing to worry about when everybody else is stressing about interviews, rejections, acceptances, getting LOR's, getting EC's, etc.

Set your heart and mind to it and anything is possible.