Non science major finding science research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baseball34

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading the posts for awhile and decided to register. I'm a humanities sophomore at a big state university. I want to do basic science research but haven't taken too many science courses, just the med school prereqs. Ill take biochem and genetics next year, an upper biology senior year, and that will be about it for science because Ive got a humanities major and two social science minors to complete. Has anybody else found/done meaningful research with little background coursework? On the same note, should I be taking more science courses?

Members don't see this ad.

baseball34 said:
I've been reading the posts for awhile and decided to register. I'm a humanities sophomore at a big state university. I want to do basic science research but haven't taken too many science courses, just the med school prereqs. Ill take biochem and genetics next year, an upper biology senior year, and that will be about it for science because Ive got a humanities major and two social science minors to complete. Has anybody else found/done meaningful research with little background coursework? On the same note, should I be taking more science courses?

Try e-mailing different professors at your university. Many will take on students early on in their college career in hopes that they will stick with the lab. And most of these young students also lack advanced coursework. I started research in physiology when I had only taken intro biology and chemistry. It can be done.

ChymeChancellor said:
Try e-mailing different professors at your university. Many will take on students early on in their college career in hopes that they will stick with the lab. And most of these young students also lack advanced coursework. I started research in physiology when I had only taken intro biology and chemistry. It can be done.

Its even better if you have some idea of what youre interested in. Then you can single out proffs and actually go to them.

My school has an organization devoted to student research . . . maybe yours does too? They help students find research opportunities, present poster symposiums, organize lectures, etc.

At my school it's called SURGe (Student Undergrad Research Group I think).

:luck: