non science major interested in research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a college graduate with a BA that is completely unrelated to science and have recently decided I may want to go back to school to purse science. I specifically would love to do research but I am unsure of what track I need to take in order to get where I want to be.
I am taking some science classes at an extension program the moment and figure I probably need to go back to school and do another bachelors in say-biology? Is this correct? Are there post bacc type programs for research scientist hopefuls?
Get research experience, etc.
After that though where would I go?
I do not want to work at a clinic or a hospital. I do not want to work with patients but I do want to be able to work with people for research studies.
I do not know what type of research I want to do but I have a strong interest in diseases. Would it be best for me to apply to a PHD program or go for a research heavy MD?

I know very little about all of this so I am sorry if my questions seem dumb or commonsensical.

Members don't see this ad.

With an undergraduate degree in classical languages and my only science related course being biology 101 (w/out lab), I was able to get a job in a molecular biology lab in Boston just by applying extremely widely (~10-20 positions). Around this time, I was of a similar sentiment to you, and I enrolled in extension classes in cell bio, mol bio, genetics. After I made the decision to go to med school (for clinical and research purposes), I enrolled in a postbac program. You definitely do not need another BA.

From what I've seen, you don't sound like you need to pursue an MD, but get a job in a medically related lab and see how you feel about it.

I'd recommend talking to as many people as you can, maybe some profs from your undergrad, people on here, or family friends in related fields.