Non-Science Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigerLilies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a non-science major should I take at least some science courses other than the premed science classes? Would it look bad if I did not?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As a non-science major should I take at least some science courses other than the premed science classes? Would it look bad if I did not?

Thanks

All you need is the premed courses. It doesn't "look bad". If schools wanted you to take more, they would require more (as a handful of schools have, with respect to biochem).

Take the extra course only if you have real interest in them, otherwise it would be a waste of time as you can use it to boost up other parts of your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm, interesting. I am a history major and only took the pre-reqs and wish I'd taken a couple upper level courses. If I could afford it, I'd take biochemistry and a couple upper level bio courses. That's just me personally. Some DO schools require some upper level courses. I also think it would have helped me on the MCATs. Just personal opinion, take it for what it's worth...:)

Thanks

Yeah, I agree with the other posts- only take science classes if you are interested. I would recommend taking a physiology course and genetics course for the MCAT. But you can always prepare for these independently.

glck, Kid!

PG

recommended courses are:

biochem
cellbio
anatomy
physiology
genetics

like others have said, only take them if you really want to and if you're interested in the subject material. don't take it just to get in and bring down your GPA.

i was a math econ major and took cellbio and both biochems because i was fascinated by the material. i really wanted to learn it. i also wanted to take anat and physio but couldn't fit it into my schedule.

I noticed that some schools require biochem. However, if you haven't taken biochem, can you still apply to med schools that require biochem but wait until after you get in to take the class? (like the summer before you matriculate) Would med schools that require biochem accept you even if you haven't taken the class?

Thanks

Thanks

I noticed that other than your standard science courses: Orgo, Physical Chem, Biology, English and Physics. Other courses that are required by few schools are: mol cel biology, biochem and math. Each 1 semester worth.

Again for a school that doesnt require such "Additional courses"...it looks good to have if you have a relatively average bio MCAT mark (9-10).

I noticed that other than your standard science courses: Orgo, Physical Chem, Biology, English and Physics. Other courses that are required by few schools are: mol cel biology, biochem and math. Each 1 semester worth.

Again for a school that doesnt require such "Additional courses"...it looks good to have if you have a relatively average bio MCAT mark (9-10).

Actually most schools require math, and most of those require a full year of it, not a semester. A distinct minority require the math to be calculus. As for biochem, genetics etc, actually very few schools require it, maybe a dozen. A slightly larger minority suggest, or recommend, it. I assure you that med schools in general will teach you all you need to know, so if you show up ready to work hard, you can do fine on only the absolutely required premed prereqs.

Biochem and calc. are good classes to take to keep your options open.