non-science majors a disadvantage???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Schools state that one should major in what they are interested, but what I can gleam is that a lot of dental students were science majors especially Biology. The professor that I met at Tufts was telling me that a lot undergrads are science majors. It sounded like he hadn't met a non-science major in a while. Is there a hidden disadvantage from being a non-science major? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Depends how smart you are. The statistics at my school relevant to the people who apply with and without a science major and are accepted are equal. The plus of having a science background is that you have more knowledge for the DAT as well as when you enter dental school. I was a non-science major, however, and scored a 26 on the DAT, so, for me, it wasn't very significant. I was a Sociology major btw (ended up with a 4.0 gpa with this major which is not very hard at all).

As long as you've done well in your science prereqs and you have a high oveall gpa there's no disadvantage. There are several of students in my class with backgrounds other than science.

coodoo, only a 26? You couldn't have done better than that? I'm disappointed.

DDSSlave said:
As long as you've done well in your science prereqs and you have a high oveall gpa there's no disadvantage. There are several of students in my class with backgrounds other than science.

coodoo, only a 26? You couldn't have done better than that? I'm disappointed.
:laugh:

yeah, I was actually kinda surprised myself. A few breaks here and there on the math portion. The sciences were a piece of cake. only a 18 pat though :(:(