Non-science majors--Am I crazy??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sara_

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it very uncommon for pre-dental students not to major in biology/chemistry/etc? I want to major in Women's Studies. Do you think dental schools prefer science majors over liberal arts-type majors? Would majoring in biology better prepare someone for dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, you're asking several questions here.
Sara_ said:
Is it very uncommon for pre-dental students not to major in biology/chemistry/etc?

Not as uncommon as you evidently think. See this thread.

I want to major in Women's Studies. Do you think dental schools prefer science majors over liberal arts-type majors?

Not really, as long as you do well in your sciences. They like to see people who actually have personalities and aren't merely perambulating DAT scores :).

Would majoring in biology better prepare someone for dental school?

For this question, the answer is probably yes. It obviously depends on which bio classes one takes (ie, botany, limnology and so on, while they can be fascinating, won't materially help one prepare for d-school), but having a background in such classes as cell bio, microbio, histology, biochem etc. will definately help when it comes to taking those classes in d-school, not to mention being excellent help for the DAT.

So I'd suggest that while you should definately major in whatever interests you, you should also try to fit in as many of these bio classes as is feasible (without ruining your GPA). Not only will it help you when DAT time and d-school roll around, it'll positively impress the ADCOMS that you can take these advanced science classes and do well.

:luck: :luck: with everything!

Sara_ said:
Is it very uncommon for pre-dental students not to major in biology/chemistry/etc? I want to major in Women's Studies. Do you think dental schools prefer science majors over liberal arts-type majors? Would majoring in biology better prepare someone for dental school?

As an English major, I was in the same boat as you. While a strong knowledge of the sciences is a given, I think that schools are becoming more and more accepting and excited about their applicants being of different majors. It adds flavor and diversity. Most schools out there have stat sheets where they outline the previous class' stats (DAT, GPA, Gender breakdown, major..ect) If you see one of these sheets there are a LOT of different majors represented in dental school. My advice to you would be to major in something that makes you happy, but make sure to really do well in your core science classes. Also, try to take some additional sciences that may not be required but look good on your application. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I majored in Political Science with a self-proclaimed minor in Latin American womens studies, and I got accepted to 5 dental schools. As long as you do well on the DAT, I dont think that your undergrad major will matter.

As far as helping you out...yes I do feel that sometimes Im behind and need extra work to catch up with my classmates science-wise, but that was kinda expected....heck, I could write a policy essay on improving women's rights in Guatemala, but when it comes to biology, Im always like, "huh"

If you are really dedicated to becoming a dentist such as myself, you can easily pull it off! JUst be good at memorizing!

All they want to know is that you are capable of excelling in science courses, so just do well in the pre-reqs and dat, and major in what you love. The non-science major will probably hurt you in d-school but help you in your practice and how you relate to the rest of the world, who are for the most part non-science majors as well. I'm a lib. arts major with a chem minor and I don't think it hurt me, other than my biology score being my lowest on the dat (17). I still got in at 6 schools so far.

I'm an English major, got into plenty of schools, and think it actually BOOSTED my application by making me unique.

Dental school is NOT hard, no matter what your degree is in. The material isn't conceptually difficult nor difficult to learn. There's just lots of it.

Wow after reading this thread and others it seems as though i shouldnt have taken such a difficult major. Probably could have done an easier one (english, comm, poli sci, etc.) :mad:

I'm in the same boat as well:

Graduated from the University of Texas, got a Business Economics degree and now I'm back in school here in Dallas taking some classes and getting my science credits I so desperately need. I've heard and asked a few admissions departments (via email) if the path I've taken (non-science background) will hurt my chances and every single one of them said as long as I made the grades that I would be in fine shape. SO, don't worry. Like another poster said earlier, some schools actually prefer a different background than those with science majors.

Atleast this is what I tell myself. Gotta keep the dream alive.

I am a business major and was accepted to plenty of dental schools. Like Gavin said, it may make the applicant more unique.

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned here is the extra course work that you have to take when you are not a science major. For instance, Bio, Phys, Org, GChem and all the accompanying labs aren't normally part of the standard non-science degree at most universities. At least this was the case for me. Only one science and its lab counted towards my degree, the rest were just additional credits -- and additional time.

For advice I'll mention something that I have read in just about every 'getting into dental school' book -- major in something you ENJOY and CAN do WELL in.

Best of luck

Sara_ said:
hopefully you are crazy. crazy people make the world fun. Ok, your question, the answer is simple:

Pick a major that you really enjoy and just make sure you take the required courses for the particular schools you want to apply to (get the ADEA book, orange and reddish cover).
Make sure you do really well in the science course (and the others too i guess.

You can do this, I am living proof. I was an econ major undergrad, went to a good school, only graduated with a 3.0. The next four years, I worked in sales then decided to go to dental school. Took two years for my science course and the DAT.
Result: Accepted to 90% of the schools I applied to.

Piece of cake, enjoy college!

Just had to add to the fact that it doesn't much matter a lickity split where you go for undergrad, or what major you pursue, as long as you do well! My dentist got his degree in public relations, and is doing rather well... However, I do think a science major can be better prepared...

AS the last person said it doesn't matter where you go or what you major in. As for me I decided to find the quickest route with least resistance. If that is your cause, to get to dental school as quick as possible and then get a real job, then its only obvious to go straight into the required classes, that also count towards a major, heck why even graduate? I'm not and I got into 3 schools! Majoring in Bio is the best hands down.

they love it when you have a different major. Remember, the name of the game is to be different and stand out from all the other applicants. They know youll learn everything later, they just want to make sure you know your basic sciences, so if your DATs are good, you are golden.

However, once you are in, it might be harder for you than others. For instance, I majored in microbiology, so Ive done courses in micro, immuno, pathology, anatomy, biochem etc. Thus, the material wont as new to me. But they teach everything from scratch. Also many schools have recommended pre-reqs... I would look at them, and try to take those classes.

Good luck,

Last edited:
they love it when you have a different major. Remember, the name of the game is to be different and stand out from all the other applicants. They know youll learn everything later, they just want to make sure you know your basic sciences, so if your DATs are good, you are golden.

However, once you are in, it might be harder for you than others. For instance, I majored in microbiology, so Ive done courses in micro, immuno, pathology, anatomy, biochem etc. Thus, the material wont as new to me. But they teach everything from scratch. Also many schools have recommended pre-reqs... I would look at them, and try to take those classes.

Good luck

I feel your pain! Right now I am agonizing over majoring in Biology (or other science) or Human Kinetics. I have this gut feeling that I SHOULD go into Biology because it will better prepare me but at the same time I am scared of doing badly (marks are forever!) I have to apply in no later than 1 week and I still can't decide! :confused: Good luck, and don't feel pressured into majoring in something you don't love!

Sara_ said:

You've already gotten plenty of posts assuring you that your choice of majors isn't a "crazy" one. I majored in Advertising/Public Relations and minored in Marketing. The only science classes I took were those required. While studying for the DATs may have been a bit more challenging as a non-science major, I'm fairly sure even the science major's had to study their butt's off! And, to top it off, one of my interviewers told me that my diverse background was a major plus.

Major in what makes you happy. If you are interested in your classes, your GPA will reflect it.

Good Luck

I majored in classical guitar performance. I never understood why anyone would want to major in the same thing twice (biology and dentistry/medicine).